“Very Romantic”

Cross street: Franklin
Bennington, Vermont
“Very Romantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

We went here on a weeknight to celebrate our anniversary. The food was lovely. We shared an appetizer and a salad and two entrees. The wine available by the glass was excellent (I drink white and my husband red). We were there for several hours and had a very romantic dinner. It is a small restaurant, so if you want romance and quiet - get there early. I suspect that because it's a small restaurant, each dish is given TLC because it all was exquisite.

• Visited June 2012

Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceptional cuisine for a special time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The cuisine here is exceptional and the various experiments always work well. The cooking is French and the pot de veau I had here once as a special was out of this world. They suggest wines for each meal. Desserts amazing. I suggest not going for prix fixe meals and instead going on regular nights. The prix fixe I had once for New Years suffered slightly from too many meals even though this place is very small. The music was also too loud and inappropriate for food this exceptional. Why do younger chefs not understand the importance of the entire experience? Food that sends you should not be eaten while rock music is playing. This only happened once but for the money we paid it really annoyed us both. But the food is outstanding and the chef is one of Portland's best. For serious out of town foodies, go here and not Fore Street, which is a bit overrated. Enjoy!

Maine
“OUTSTANDING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

This little jewel of a restaurant elevates fine dining to an art form! My meal is always just perfect!

Visited April 2012
South Salem, New York
“Perfection, in a wonderful atmosphere, for quiet dining with friends.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Shared appetizers were sumptuous: greens, dressed perfectly; tarte, with cheese and chorizo, perfectly prepared. Entrees, delicious, served expertly. I agree: inspired. Make your reservations NOW!

• Visited April 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Wow, just wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Rarely do I rave about a meal. I have no choice with Bresca. We could not get a seat at Hugo's and oh were we lucky! Happened upon Bresca with some vague recollection of reading something about it. It was a block from Hugos and we were hungry.

The place is tiny with 18 seats. The menu seemed ambitious. So often chefs throw too much into a dish trying to impress and it just does not work...not so here. Everything in every dish had a reason for being there... That shaved Brussels sprouts would have been blah without the walnuts...with the walnuts, devine. The egg and pancetta would have been excellent sans the braised kale, but with, bloody amazing. We ate five courses ala carte and every single one work perfectly. Olive oil sorbet? White pepper and orange blossom sorbet? Are you crazy?.. Chef Krista Kern Desjarlais is crazy alright, crazy like a fox, a mad genius....we have not had a more consistently over the top, amazing food experience, well maybe ever. Michelin stars be damned...been there done that all three of them at times and they need to hand out three right here, right now.

Whatever else you eat in this state, eat her food.

To fill out the menu, we also had the hake...perfect, the sweetbreads, sublime, the panda cotta..small, VERY small critique, the sauce was a bit busy with all the bits of fruit, but the passion fruit sauce, the panna cotta itself, wow. Good wine prices, nice variety, excellent service, friendly not pretentious in the slightest. The pacing was flawless. Truly a culinary experience. We really, really liked it....oh the bread, did I mention the house made bread...torture it was trying not to eat it so as to not fill up too soon, but desperately wanting to eat more.

Two people, five courses, aperitif and bottle of wine, $225... Priceless. We even overlooked the butchered prounciations of the french culinary terms. We usually care...not today as they had us under their spell.

I will now return to my normal dissatisfied self...lol

• Visited April 2012