“Great to spend a few hours, relax, and people-watch”
Review of Local 188

Local 188
Reserve with OpenTable
Local 188 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State St
Transit: Portland metro stop directly outside front door.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great to spend a few hours, relax, and people-watch”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The menu is interesting and the food good - the anchovies were the best I've had outside of Italy - and the set-up encourages you to take your time eating and relaxing and enjoying the scene. The place has a warm welcoming feeling - not too fancy, not at all dingy - just a pleasant place to be.

• Visited May 2014

Windham, Maine, United States
“Cute place for date night!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been searching for good restaurants that's are not considered "chains". We decided to try out Local 188 for our anniversary! They have a regular menu and then a tapas menu. They also have a ginormous drink menu! We ordered a few of the tapas dishes and they were delishes! Then we ordered a cheese display and meat display which were incredible! The decor was very calm and relaxing. It was an all around great experience for us both and we had a great time!

Portland, Maine
“Local favorite”
Reviewed May 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The most impressive thing for me with this place is that I've never waited to get seated more than a couple of minutes. Very good food, very good service, excellent cocktails, ambiance, reputation. I don't get it, my experiences have been great, I would expect a line out the door, but nope - they get you right in.

Visited April 2014
MA
“Great food”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We recently visited Local 188 at the recommendation of someone from the area. The atmosphere was great with a selection of seating areas and a fantastic bar overlooking the kitchen. The menu had a decent selection of entrees and if we had been staying for dinner I would've had a hard time deciding what to order. We ended up getting a few drinks and shared 3 tapas plates. The food was delicious, and the other food we saw coming out of the kitchen looked equally wonderful. Prices were fair, a little on the higher side, but not unreasonable. My only true complaint would be that the service was slow. It took about 10 minutes for someone to acknowledge us or to even take our initial drink order. There were many servers and other staff walking around who saw that we had been seated, yet there was no attempt to make eye contact or even mention that someone would be right with us. Regardless, I think we would give it a second chance as the food really was good. Everyone has their off days, right?

Visited April 2014
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Love the bar; looking forward to dining here someday”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have been to Local 188 several times, but have not yet a chance to dine there. We usually end up at 188 before or after a concert and find it is a perfect spot to have a drink. The bar staff has always been friendly and very knowledgeable. They take great care in their drink ingredients and keep things interesting with different drink menus and beers on tap.

• Visited March 2014