“Nice Local restaurant”
Review of Local 188

Local 188
Reserve with OpenTable
Local 188 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State St
Transit: Portland metro stop directly outside front door.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice Local restaurant”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had been to the better known restaurants (also pricier) in the past, and decided to try others in this foody city. This was a 20 plus minute walk from our hotel in the harbor area (Portland Regency). but this is a very walkable city (it was over 50 degrees). Sat at the bar, as we were early for our reservation, and had a couple of cocktails, and ordered an appetizer while we waited for our table. They hves a "mostly tapas style dishes, some entrees" menu. Bartender, as were all the staff, was quite friendly and accommodating, and the atmosphere was laid back (couches and large tables in bar area). Food was quite good,not the usual "burgers and pasta" choices, and total bill, with drinks, was very reasonable. Would definitely go back..

Portland, Maine, USA
“Great Food”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had the short ribs, and it was really good. The meat was so tender it had fallen off of the bone before I had gotten it. My Girlfriend got the nightly risotto and it was equally as good. The service was very slow, but I was in no hurry so it wasn't a problem.

Brunswick, Maine
“Love Local 188!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I've been to Local 188 several times for dinner and always enjoyed the food and ambiance so decided to give it a try for brunch this morning with my brother. It was a very enjoyable meal with excellent service! On the advice of our server, Annie, I ordered the steak tips with mushrooms, potatoes, and eggs. My brother ordered the hash and eggs. My steak tips were cooked perfectly and and so flavorful. Easy-over eggs were just that, and we both agreed that my brother's hash was some of the best either of us has had anywhere. I ordered the Alarm Clock cocktail and he had the Cucumber Bloody Mary. Both were great! Annie was so helpful; there when we needed her, but not over bearing, and always with a smile! It's a beautiful, and yet comfortable restaurant, and fun place to enjoy a good meal with friends and family. I look forward to going back for brunch soon. Love Local 188!

San Diego, California
“Lively Atmosphere and Excellent Cocktails”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We very much enjoyed the warm and lively atmosphere of Local 188. The cocktails were excellent! Very tasty and unique. Also, the food was very very good and all ingredients were fresh and the flavors made me want more.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Food not so good”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The atmosphere is lively and warm--but the food is underwhelming, especially given how expensive it is. There were cooked lime slices garnishing my fish, which sounds lovely, but makes the entire fish taste of bitter lime peel. The accompanying vegetables and potatoes were not cooked enough. All the food was much too salty. The chorizo paella was flavorless, except for the salt.

3 Thank Theresa W