“Tasty Paella”
Review of Local 188

Local 188
Reserve with OpenTable
Local 188 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State St
Transit: Portland metro stop directly outside front door.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Large, open space with informal atmosphere. Arrive early (5:30 p.m.) as the room fills up fast. As I was alone, decided to sit at the counter, overlooking the open kitchen. Had a very tasty paella with shellfish, spicy sausage, chicken and saffron rice, served up in its own cast-iron pan. Mussles were particularly good. Washed it down with a glass of Portuguese "vino verde". Friendly serving staff. Would definitely return.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I just happened upon this restaurant when we left the Amtrak station and were headed into town. They were gracious enough to feed us even though it was a bit past 10 pm. The food was excellent. We got the cheese platter, mussels and the olives. Everything was fantastic. We love the open kitchen concept. The waitstaff was great - excellent service, and the atmosphere was rustic and chill. We highly recommend it.

1  Thank ruffles1
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was in Portland on business and my cousins who live nearby took me to Local 188 for dinner. It's a very casual sort of lively atmosphere with an open kitchen. The space has high ceilings and is sort of eclectic and typical of a casual Portland restaurant. The menu was very nice and had tapas as well as appetizer salads and entrees. We all had a salad and entree. Everything was very good, I had the roast chicken, my companions had the paella and flank steak. No complaints at all despite the fact that we're all foodies. The flank steak portion looked a little small to me. Service was excellent, very on top of things but not intrusive. I did not see the wine list but the bottle we had was excellent. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had dinner here on a Tuesday night in October. We did not have a reservation and the restaurant was fairly crowded, and we were seated after a short wait. The food here is very good. We ordered the casco bay hake and the house paella. The flavor profile of the hake was delicious and we agreed the paella was probably the best we have ever had. The service was efficient - maybe too efficient. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Local 188 is an excellent, unpretentious and reasonably priced restaurant. I especially like the tapas plates, they also have slightly larger plates ("racciones") and regular sized entrees. I chose 3 tapas plates, which was plenty of food. The liver plate was especially tasty, as was the cheese plate. The butternut squash & apple cider soup was good. My husband mentioned that it was my birthday in the waitress's presence and she brought my dessert (a tasty apple & pear crisp) with a candle and "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate. That was a sweet ending to a lovely dinner.