“Very nice restaurant in Portland, MA”
Review of Local 188

Local 188
Reserve with OpenTable
Local 188 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 618 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State St
Transit: Portland metro stop directly outside front door.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very nice restaurant in Portland, MA”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had dinner here on a Tuesday night in October. We did not have a reservation and the restaurant was fairly crowded, and we were seated after a short wait. The food here is very good. We ordered the casco bay hake and the house paella. The flavor profile of the hake was delicious and we agreed the paella was probably the best we have ever had. The service was efficient - maybe too efficient. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Portland, Maine
“great restaurant, wonderful tapas”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Local 188 is an excellent, unpretentious and reasonably priced restaurant. I especially like the tapas plates, they also have slightly larger plates ("racciones") and regular sized entrees. I chose 3 tapas plates, which was plenty of food. The liver plate was especially tasty, as was the cheese plate. The butternut squash & apple cider soup was good. My husband mentioned that it was my birthday in the waitress's presence and she brought my dessert (a tasty apple & pear crisp) with a candle and "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate. That was a sweet ending to a lovely dinner.

Norfolk, Massachusetts
“An Irritatingly Noisy Night”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Dining Style for Local 188 on this website is characterized as ‘casual elegant’. We disagree. It is not elegant, it is irritatingly noisy. ‘Casual ebullient ‘, or just plain rowdy are better descriptors. It was impossible to hear anything above the din in the dining area. But, then again, the dining area included the bar area, the lounge area and the kitchen. The banging of the pots and pans helped contribute to the noise in the room. People were yelling at each other in order to be heard. My wife and I found conversation to be impossible. We did not have a quiet evening together as we enjoy and expected.
The food and service fared a little better but could not redeem the evening. The steak tartar was spectacular. It was an impressive presentation and what appeared to be a quail egg was a nice accompaniment. The grilled moro flat bread tapas did not fare as well. While it was good, it was stale and chewy. Also, the tomatillo salsa verde on the flat bread which usually has a fantastic flavor was much too salty. My wife’s choice for the entrée was the house paella which by the time it was served was crusty on top and soggy below. It was about average and well below what we’ve had in other restaurants. I had the hanger steak. The steak was tasty but each piece had a lot of tough grizzle which made it inedible. The mashed potato was smooth and creamy but heavily salted. It was a culinary disaster. There was no value here either.
The service was very attentive to the point where it was overbearing and intrusive. We were constantly inspected as we were eating. My wife was cutting the flat bread and would put a small piece on my bread dish when I finished the previous piece. At one point when I picked up the piece to take a bite the server, seeing the empty dish, came to the table and removed it while the bread was still in my hand. We had to use the serving tray as a bread dish. They also served water when we were seated. Too bad the water was at room temperature and too warm to drink.
It was a very disappointing evening.

Marietta, Georgia
“Great location, delicious food”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had dinner at Local 188--the seafood was delicious. I had braised short ribs, which were mouth watering! Service was excellent also.

Visited October 2012
Portland, Maine
“Excellent even after waiting”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My family and I sat down at this restaurant in the corner and they must have forgotten about us! We waited for a while before we had to ask to be helped. However, once done - The staff at Local 188 took GREAT care of us, they gave us a large discount when we got our bill, and extra appetizers. It was semi-expensive but portion wise and quality wise the food was excellent and well worth it. They were very apologetic for forgetting us. More importantly the food was PERFECT. They provided great service ( after finding us ) and were very nice. I will definitely be going back . Great atmosphere.

• Visited August 2012

Been to Local 188? Share your experiences!