“Tight Space for Fine Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of David's Restaurant

David's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
David's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Preble Street
West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Tight Space for Fine Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

David's is right on Monument Square in Portland, a little removed from the Old Port area. We had reservations for a table, good thing too. David's is a small tight space and every inch is used. If you are looking for a quite peaceful dinner, look elsewhere. If you enjoy a lively, full room, you will be at home here. Our waitress was very professional, attentive and cheerful even in the midst of all the hustle. Our food was wonderful. I had the crispy skin duck, it was delicious! My wife had the pork tenderloin. This has a tendency to be dry, not at David's. It was moist and flavorful. Tempting as it is, I enjoyed the duck more. While they have an extensive wine list, their craft beer selection was adequate. Given the space factor, I would still go back, though earlier in the week and in the evening. We had a great evening there!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Sarasota, Florida
“A great reputation, but poor service and food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I went to David's expecting great things. What we got was a very small table wedged in between two large parties. My wife ordered the steak and it was almost unchewable. I ordered the ahi tune which was tough and the noodles were too hot. By hot I mean really hot , as in too spicy. We ordered desert and it at least was good. The waiter disappeared for long periods as well.

2 Thank salligator34238
“Great dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We walked in off the street during a concert event in Monument Square. The only reservation left was seating at the bar which faces the kitchen area. My husband and I enjoy watching the chefs work, so this was fine with us. The hostess was very accommodating and held our place for an hour until we were ready. We started at the bar. I had a Cosmo which did not have much flavor. I would not recommend it. My husband enjoyed his Beefeaters and gin. We did not have any apps.
Once seated, we ordered two of the evening's specials. My husband ordered the filet mignon, and I ordered the salmon. We first ordered a wilted spinach salad with bacon to start. It really was sautéed spinach and looked like more of a side dish. It was very tasty but did not look like a salad. The entrees were delicious. Both were cooked to perfection. Kudos to Chef Kelsey and his crew. Great favors, plenty on the plate, and visually appealing.
With great food, friendly and efficient service, we would return for another meal.

Nova Scotia, Canada
“Great food but felt a little rushed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The food at David's is very good. Unfortunately we felt a little rushed - maybe its because their location is right downtown. Cocktails were too strong - all you could taste was the alcohol. Our appetizers arrived before we were finished our cocktails (a pet peeve for me). We enjoyed Duck Sliders and amazing calamari for starters off the "small plates" section of their large menu. The mixed grill of sirloin steak, shrimp and scallops was delicious as was the pepper filet mignon with blue cheese butter. The salt caramel chocolate torte was a heavenly dessert. Our server was very good but the pace was a little quick for a fine dining experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
“also wanted to like it more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I wish I'd seen Bookistan5's review before I went instead of after. My experience was almost identical -- nice place, good starter (also had the tuna tartar), but really uninteresting entrées. I had the "blackened" swordfish, but it wasn't blackened in any sense I'm familiar with. My wife had the salmon which was better but still not great. Nothing was bad, but it was pretty insipid for the price. I doubt I'll go back.

Visited August 2013