“Really nice place to eat”
Review of David's Restaurant

David's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
David's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Preble Street
“Really nice place to eat”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant was a little small, so reservations are needed. We started with a cheese plate which was very nice. The bread had absolutely no taste, but the garlic knots were good. I ordered the mushroom ravioli, and the flavors were outstanding. My friends were not as impressed with their meals, but overall it was a really nice dinner, and the prices were not too bad.

• Visited August 2013

Maine
“Anniversary Dinner Must”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We discovered David's Restaurant in Portland 5 years ago when our Aunt gave us a gift card for Christmas. Since than, we have celebrated our wedding anniversary there, and have been more than happy with the food, spirits and service.

Our last visit prompted me to leave a review so other people can enjoy the food and atmosphere like we do.

Make sure to make reservations. We were at the door when it opened at 5 (Sunday), so we were able to get the seat we want, but call or go online to make reservations.

Lets start with the food.

We started with a glass of wine, beer and the fried calamari. This calamari was like no other. The fry was not greasy, very good, and we would recommend it to anyone. It was mixed in with a ginger sauce and some hot spices, as well as some pit less olives. Not a big plate, but for $6 it was a great starter

This year I ordered the ginger and scallion crusted salmon which comes with sesame snow peas and asparagus. I love the mashed potatoes which as wasabi in them also. The salmon was cooked medium well, and melted in my mouth. I loved the wasabi which kicked in as you ate the mashed potatoes.

My wife ordered the meatloaf, which is what I got last year. This came with exotic mushroom gravy and roasted mashed potatoes. I felt it was a little over cooked, but the flavors were great.

Here is a link to the dinner menu... http://www.davidsrestaurant.com/menus/dinner-07-2013.pdf

The atmosphere is great. It is right in the heart of Portland, which is a great location because you can walk the streets, visit other restaurants or walk down to the water.

For special occasions they do have a private room, which has a new add on kitchen.

I noticed someone rated this place as a 1, which is their opinion, but I would just like to say that you cannot please everyone, and that this place is really good. 1? Come on, I have been going here for 5 years and have never had an issue.

Come to Portland, enjoy the sights and food, and come visit David's. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
“Great start to week in Maine”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We got into Portland late afternoon on Friday and headed straight to David's as they opened. We were determined to have lobster our first night in Maine, and they didn't disappoint with their special lobster caprese salad. Their fresh bread an amazing olive oil dip was to die for! The halibut was wonderful and the cocktails were original and yummy. It's a nice departure from the touristy spots down on the waterfront. I'm glad we took the walk to David's. I would recommend to others who aren't into the touristy restaurant thing.

Maui, Hawaii
“Great meal, drinks and service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The service at David's was very friendly. Menu had varied choices. Hard time deciding what to have. Food was served hot and lobster and steak pizza was awesome and husband's haddock was delicious. Even their house wine was wonderful. Prices were very reasonable. Would definitely recommend to others visiting Portland.

Chicago, IL
“Just Awful”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I confess that we have had some challenges finding good food (our definition of good is healthy, flavorful food) in Maine. The clam chowders can be just gross and same goes for the fried clams. David's held out promise in it's modern menu complete with vegetarian choices. Unfortunately, the promise did not hold up. The service was off-putting: our friends had had to use their credit card to guarantee the table and fretted that they would be charged whether or not we went or if we were late etc. No need for stress like that -- especially as they were assembling folks from diverse points. Much to our surprise, when we arrived, David's atmosphere was very casual -- no white linens. So, why the pressure on the credit card guarantee? Alas, the food. The salmon pizza was just some bread -- in fairness, they did offer to give us another one for free, but who wants to wait and how different could it have been and why did they bring us something they would have rejected? The breads dominated the meal -- garlic rolls, sliced bread -- too much. The vegetarian stir fry was barely edible and the pasta with chicken was enormous and bland. The polenta and swordfish tasted funny. New flavors, mixed together with un-delicious results. So, we would not go back. We know there is some good food in Portland, but one has to be really careful.

1 Thank travelarmchair