“Fine dining in the Old Port”
Review of David's Restaurant

David's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
David's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 642 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Preble Street
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm not sure why David's is not listed among Portland's top ten restaurants, but when you have Gorgeous Gelato as the number one choice, it looks like those reviewing would prefer gelato and pizza to fine dining. If that's the case, then check out Otto's Pizza. But for those of us looking for a special dining experience, put David's at the top of your list. I went in for Maine Restaurant Week and had their 3-course special: appetizer, entree and dessert included. The food is truly to die for. I started out with a squash and apple bisque that was perfect and delicious. Then I went onto a meat loaf with crispy onions and exotic mushroom sauce - this was not your local diner version. It was a melange of tastes and spices that was magic on the tongue. The dessert was a square of something between a mousse and a brownie, infused with a pistachio flavoring on melted rum ice cream with a dash of caramel sauce. I think it's the best dessert I've ever had. It's a shame that it's not on the regular menu - it needs to be. The atmosphere is contemporary and upscale. We were seated near the inner bar in the front. I could easily chat with friends and enjoy this fresh, originally prepared food with ease. David's is now in my top five of Portland restaurants - no easy feat in this foodie town. Go and try it. I'll be back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This place is off a city square. I noted prompt service, interesting architectural details, and a nice staff. A high point is that there is what is essentially a chef's table, a bar alongside the kitchen, so that diners can eat and watch at the same time. The crowd was lively and having fun. Nice tile floor. A burger specced as medium came out actually medium, not well, unusual in most restaurants. David has opened a new back room, called Ten, with reportedly a somewhat higher priced menu. I have yet to try that, but am looking forward to a visit.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was excited by the NYTimes description of the food and ambiance. Howebrt, I did not see any resemblance to a 1920s French Bistro. It is overly bright, noisy with tables crowded together. The Menu on the website is not just a matter of different dishes being featured, but a whole concept that doesn't exist. The Times talks of substantial appetizers, olives and french fries do not fit this description.. Only the squid as one of the appetizers would qualify. My Spinach salad was miniscule.The wild mushroom ravioli was simply strange. For $19 you got 5 thin raviolis in a light broth that had a sour taste. The quite large pieces of canned tomato were not incorporated into the dish and the 4 marbles of cream cheese made no sense. Neither did the topping of fresh arugula.. More mushrooms would have been nice. The overall experience was one of sour flavors in the food and a rather sour experience in restaurant eating

1  Thank pat
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was in town for a single evening and wanted a seat at a bar, a couple local draft beers and a plate of food. David's fit the bill. Parking in Portland's arts district wan't easy to find, but there is a garage close by. A short walk up Congress took me to Davids. The bar was not full at 6:00 on a Friday. The bartender was congenial. The draft selection was acceptable - I had a Geary's winter ale and an Alagash white (legendary!). The menu was not extensive, but the selection was varied. I chose pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon. It came on a bed of mashed sweet potato and sauteed spinach. It was the only lactose-intolerant selection but quite good. It was a good sized filet of pork, easily 8 ounces, cooked medium - tender and succulent. I would recommend Davids for business groups, couples or singles. I'm not sure it's a family restaurant. The bill came to $31 before tip.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went with a large group after making a reservation. I've been many times before. The restaurant was not crowded. The atmosphere is modern and warm with nice low-lighting (a friend and I remembered when the space used to house an upscale Burger King in the mid-90's). I ordered the clam chowder to start with: notable taste of thyme and bacon. It was chock-full of clams and potatoes and other good stuff, and it was a good portion for the money. The warmed spinach and bacon salad was less pleasing for its small portion for $8- and while it tasted good, one would think it would have more flavor given its several ingredients. The meat loaf over mashed entree was predictably tasty and satisfying. For dessert I had the white chocolate and pecan torte, with whipped cream: simply delicious.