Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
$144
$136
  • Room Service
$105
Ramada Plaza Portland(Portland)(Great Value!)
$85
The Westin Portland Harborview(Portland)(Great Value!)
$119
  • Room Service
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
$142
$159
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Pool
$143
  • Breakfast included
$139
All reviewsb bguest loungecustardsdvd collectionbread puddingsitting roomwhoopie piesfrench toasthome bakedcookieslobsterold portcommon roomfresh fruitoff street parkingbrowniewonderful bed and breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My first trip of the summer was a weekend at Morrill Mansion. Two months later, I am already eager to return. The inn keeper was extremely hospitable and instantly made me feel right at home. His knowledge of the local area helped my mother and I select a perfect spot for dinner. Not only does he prepare a full hot/cold breakfast, he also bakes treats throughout the day for a quick snack. I would highly suggest a trip to Morrill Mansion.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank Bostonner
Reviewed June 19, 2009

We selected this Inn based on the excellent reviews. It was as described and more. Trip was built around a bike ride for 3 of us across the Casco Bay bridge and around Scarborough, South Portland, and Cape Elizabeth. That was fantastic, but more about the Inn. David, the innkeeper, was kind enough to store our bikes in the basement so that we could relax and enjoy the city our first night. David is a great guy and steered us in the direction of probably one of the best restaurants we've ever eaten at. We ended up eating at the same place both nights. Caiola's on Pine Street. Ooh la la! We stayed in the McGuire room. It was lovely and had all the amenities I was hoping for. A beautifully furnished room with a very comfortable bed, and luxurious sheets. A jar of chocolates on the table (who wouldn't like that), a little fridge with bottled water, nice television with DVD player and probably 100 DVD's to choose from on a bookcase in the hallway. There was a room on the second floor for us to gather (since we were two couples) that had tea and coffee available all hours of the day, and a plate of cookies the first day and mouthwatering brownies the second (we were only there for 2 days). The bath products were wonderful, and the towels smelled so good we had to ask what the fragrance was. It was lavender and vanilla. I can't go into too much detail about the breakfast or I will be writing all day. Fabulous is the best word to describe. Just try it for yourself, you won't be disappointed. Great location nestled among the big old homes of the west end.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2009

We had a very nice two night stay at this charming inn. We've stayed at many B&Bs and David (the inn keeper) really does get all the important things right: the inn is clean and nicely decorated, he adds special touches like chocolates in the room and fresh baked goods in the common area, he is a helpful and attentive host, and the man REALLY KNOWS HOW TO COOK! Breakfast on day one included lobster soufflé, bread pudding, raspberry crumble, blueberry muffins, plus an assortment of fruit, bread, bagels, cereals... That was ONE breakfast. Impressive. Day two was cheese omelettes, crisp potatoes, raspberry custard and more.

One reviewer mentioned the problem with homeless folks in the area. While it is true that there is a noticeable homeless population, it isn't a bad area. Lots of art galleries, nice restaurants, interesting shops. I agree that I wouldn't want to be out too late or by myself, but that would be true in most any area. I wouldn't let that keep you from staying at this great inn!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2009

All the positives other reviewers highlighted are true:
--Fantastic breakfast with multiple choices will leave you very pleased
--Yummy mid-day snacks, huge selection of movies if you choose to stay in
--Beautiful and tasteful decor. David the innkeeper thought of all the details for you. Chocolates in the room, nice furniture, very clean, even the towels smell lovely.
--All the other details make this place amazing--parking, small fridge in the room, goat's milk soap, extra towels, wine glasses & opener, an overall lovely place to stay.
HOWEVER, if there is one con, it's the neighborhood. It's a mixed bag. If you're walking downtown, I'd recommend you avoid the main drag-Congress St.-better to walk down Brackett to Spring. Spring St. goes right into the old port district. We felt safe going that way, walking by grand victorian homes. But, we had a couple encounters walking on Congress St. at night that made us feel completely unsafe. There are many unsavory characters. At one point a very drunk bum harassed us unstoppingly until we were verbally aggressive, running from him. Another time there was a man walking down the street with a huge gash on his head and blood running down his face. Then there are the prostitutes and seedy looking men. We were surprised because there are some high end restaurants on Congress. In fact we saw the bloody man just 1 block from the 555 restaurant (which, by the way was disappointing, pretentious, and not worth the $$$). This is definitely a transitioning neighborhood. I wouldn't recommend this location if you're a woman traveling alone or with children. With that said, you should make up your own mind about the neighborhood. We didn't always feel safe and I grew up/still live in a large metropolitan city.
Otherwise, this B&B is perfect in every way. I'd recommend you stop into Gritty's (old port) for local beer and a great local vibe. Walter's (around the corner) for lunch was fantastic and the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth is unmissable. Fried clams with an ocean view. Wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank happytravels28
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My 12 yo and I stayed in one of the inn's smallest (and least expensive) rooms - but it was still great. We both really enjoyed the quiet, warm experience. This was our first trip to Portland, and inn is located just blocks from beautiful old mansions. The area has a ton of character.

Pros - The innkeeper was very cordial and prepared a fabulous breakfast with a variety of hot and cold items to choose from. The bedroom was beautifully decorated, lots of rich molding, classic colors. The room also had a little fridge which was very convenient. The bathroom was small but the most was made of all the space and the tilework was beautiful. We loved the DVD library, too, which had a wide selection of movies. Free off-street parking was a plus.

Semi-Cons - The parking lot is tight. If you have a sedan, you'll be fine, but it you have an SUV or a car with a lowsy turning radius, be prepared to have your travel partner stand outside the car and help you squeeze in or out!

The bedding was wonderful but pillows were way too soft for me and I didn't find any extras in the room. Because we didn't get back to the room until late the first night, I didn't want to bother him for pillows and so I pulled the firmer pillows out of the shams. The next day, when he made up the room, he provided extra pillows, which I appreciated.

I didn't see any signage in the room for wi-fi and when we tried to find a signal, it was rather weak - so I figured we were "borrowing" it from somewhere outside the property. It wasn't until I grabbed a little brochure for the inn on our way out that I saw wi-fi listed as an amenity.

A funny thing - when we checked in the room was spotless and the bathroom was clean but the bathroom trash can hadn't been emptied and contained a small amount of non-gross trash. But because the rest of the inn was so clean, I didn't freak out. It was emptied each day of our stay going forward.

Interesting note - Only children over the age of 12 are welcome to stay at the hotel (which is kind of nice if you're trying to escape your little ones for a quick getaway :-)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family