“very charming - great breakfast!”

Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Morristown, NJ
“very charming - great breakfast!”
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My 12 yo and I stayed in one of the inn's smallest (and least expensive) rooms - but it was still great. We both really enjoyed the quiet, warm experience. This was our first trip to Portland, and inn is located just blocks from beautiful old mansions. The area has a ton of character.

Pros - The innkeeper was very cordial and prepared a fabulous breakfast with a variety of hot and cold items to choose from. The bedroom was beautifully decorated, lots of rich molding, classic colors. The room also had a little fridge which was very convenient. The bathroom was small but the most was made of all the space and the tilework was beautiful. We loved the DVD library, too, which had a wide selection of movies. Free off-street parking was a plus.

Semi-Cons - The parking lot is tight. If you have a sedan, you'll be fine, but it you have an SUV or a car with a lowsy turning radius, be prepared to have your travel partner stand outside the car and help you squeeze in or out!

The bedding was wonderful but pillows were way too soft for me and I didn't find any extras in the room. Because we didn't get back to the room until late the first night, I didn't want to bother him for pillows and so I pulled the firmer pillows out of the shams. The next day, when he made up the room, he provided extra pillows, which I appreciated.

I didn't see any signage in the room for wi-fi and when we tried to find a signal, it was rather weak - so I figured we were "borrowing" it from somewhere outside the property. It wasn't until I grabbed a little brochure for the inn on our way out that I saw wi-fi listed as an amenity.

A funny thing - when we checked in the room was spotless and the bathroom was clean but the bathroom trash can hadn't been emptied and contained a small amount of non-gross trash. But because the rest of the inn was so clean, I didn't freak out. It was emptied each day of our stay going forward.

Interesting note - Only children over the age of 12 are welcome to stay at the hotel (which is kind of nice if you're trying to escape your little ones for a quick getaway :-)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank EilisRyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Morrill Mansion for a girls getaway and it was wonderful.
The location is perfect - very close to Old Port and easy to get to. It's in a safe, quiet neighborhood setting with off street parking.
The rooms are beautifully decorated and we loved the Vaughn room that we stayed in.
The shower is amazing!
The B&B is pristine and immaculate - everything is so clean!
David is a wonderful inn keeper and he didn't disappoint with homemade blondies available in the common room, along with teas and snacks like potato chips and fritos.
There is a full selection of dvds available, which was great.
David was very helpfull and provided lots of information about the area.
Breakfast was great and included omelets, delicious potatoes, baked goods, yogurt, juices, cereals, fruit and bread pudding.
The bed was extremely comfortable too.
I would definitely return for another visit - we loved it!

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank camcamMA
st louis mo
Reviewed May 26, 2009

A delightful inn awaited us. Upon arriving at the Morrill Mansion, we found lovely accomodations and exceptional breakfasts.
Lobster souflee, among other choice offerings, and home made style breads. And of course home baked treats with our afternoon tea.
Games available for playing in the parlour.
And our host, David, was a very nice young man.

1 Thank cgervaisr
Providence, RI
Reviewed April 21, 2009

This bed and breakfast was the best I've been to yet. The location was ideal- close to downtown/port area in a very pedestrian friendly city. The mansion was very clean and well kept. The innkeeper David was incredibly attentive with great attention to detail. As attentive as he was, we did not get the feeling he was watching over us the whole time. His continental breakfast included special homemade treats and there were always baked cookies or brownies in the second floor lounge. The third floor was a bit stuffy but can be expected of older houses. Overall a great experience, would definately return!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cshaner22
Boston
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Clean, comfortable, quiet, friendly, and a value. Breakfast was a step above the usual. Would definitely recommend to others and would stay there again myself.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morrina
concarres
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I am lying here on my bed at the Morrill Mansion not wanting to check out. This was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on with ultra soft sheets. Given we have a $2500 bed at home that is saying something. Our room is beautiful with highend furnishings, nice furniture and extra touches that really show they care.

We were looking for a special place for our 20th anniversary and were thrilled with this place. We happend to book at the last minute and they offered a special rate, which made it quite a good deal, especially for the excellent quality of the place.

Look forward to breakfast. We were here on a Sunday morning and were quite pleased with the offerings. David, the innkeeper baked a wonderful coffee cake, there were hot items, fruit, cereals, all very plentiful and tasty. Further yesterday he had put out fresh baked woopie pies, yum.

We want to come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank concarres
Maine
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Great place, great service, lovely rooms, nice location, beautiful architecture. Truly exceptional. Hope to stay there again when the opportunity arises

Stayed August 2008, traveled on business