“Highly recommend this gorgeous Inn.”

Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My friends and I planned a New Year's Eve weekend in Portland and decided to stay at the Morrill Mansion. We had a wonderful experience and highly recommend this Inn to anyone looking to stay in the area. The Inn itself is beautiful, but beyond that, it is probably the cleaniest place that I have ever stayed in (and I travel regularly for work and pleasure). The bathrooms were well sized and immaculate. The rooms are also equipped with DVD players and there is a library that you can borrow movies from for viewing.

David, the Innkeeper, is a wonderful host and does many things to make your trip extra special. From the water bottles in the fridge and candy dish in your room to the homemade baked goods in the common living room, he really makes you feel at home.

If we are to visit Portland again, we will definitely plan to stay at the Morrill Mansion.

Stayed: December 2007

+ Awesome Breakfast Spread
+ Tasty Snacks
+ Very Comfy Bed

Negatives >
- (if I were forced to think of any) parking - but only because I was forced (due to an unusual amount of Autumn snow) to rent an SUV; otherwise, there would have been no parking woes (and as it was, there really weren't).

Review:
I was in Portland for the entire week, and my wife came along to keep me company on these cold snowy nights. I wanted to treat her to something nice, so I stuck with my peers at Tripadvisor and booked a room on its high recommendations here. Needless to say, we were not disappointed.

We arrived very close to 3:00PM and were greeted warmly by the innkeep with coffee, fudge, and a myriad of teas. Our room was the well appointed "Burnham." My wife enjoyed the deep and jetted tub while I surfed the net (Morrill has a free wifi connect) on what felt like a pillow top mattress. David (The Innkeeper) placed a portable heater in the room, but we really didn't need it that night under the heat of the thick and warmth of the covers on the bed.

The whole B & B has a very homey feel. I love the fact that our room had hardwood floors and a micro fridge. The towels were thick, soft, and smelled like they had just been taken out of a dryer. Breakfast was just short of incredible - laden with fresh fruits, pastries, hard boiled eggs, and what I think was a homemade raspberry custard.

As far as the location, it would definitely be walkable but it's also only a short drive to I-295, Old Port, and Commercial Street. The Parking area was actually fine for us, but it would be better for you if your vehicle of choice is a midsize or below.

Altogether, I would definitely stay @ the Morrill again and hope to in my future travels through Portland.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank GTwilley
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I organized a meeting in Portland that required housing 7 people, including myself, for 4 nights. We rented all of the rooms in the Morill Mansion. To a person, everyone loved the accommodations. The rooms were clean, interesting, historic, and eclectic. There were little touches, such as freshly baked cookies and fudge each night. The breakfast was great and the dinning area was quaint. As someone who travels allot, I could not have been more pleased. The innkeeper was attentive to our needs and went out of his way to make us feel at home. You can't go wrong with this B&B.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank scottvan
Reviewed December 3, 2007

We wanted to go away for a quick romantic weekend from NYC. Portland, ME was the all that we hoped it would be. My boyfriend and I have traveled ALOT and we love to stay in luxury hotels. We researched the best hotels in the Old Port and were not impressed. We were hesitant to stay at a B&B. The Morrill Mansion has changed our view on B&B's. It is modern and clean, you really look forward to going "home" after a day of sightseeing and shopping. Breakfast is really good and David, the innkeeper, is VERY nice and knowledgeable of the area. He made us feel right at home and we plan on going back soon with some friends.

Stayed: December 2007
5  Thank whoelse49
Reviewed November 20, 2007

The Morrill Mansion was everything we expected from reviews on this site. My husband and I went to Portland for an anniversary weekend away and spent one night at the property. The room was huge and well appointed. Lots of little luxurious touches like silk lampshades. I loved the little sitting room on the 2nd floor for guests with snacks and drinks, as well as games and DVDs. The bath was a little small, but that's to be expected in a house of that era. Really appreciated having parking too. Great night's sleep and then a fantastic breakfast with mango crisp in the morning. The owner was very pleasant and gracious. All in all, a great place and a good price for it. We will definitely be recommending it to our friends.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kjsBoston
Reviewed November 8, 2007

My husband and I decided to take a trip for our anniversary to Portland after many of our friends raved about it. Hotel options in the city are limited or very pricey. We stumbled on the Morrill Mansion through Trip Advisor and oh, what a find it was!

We arrived on a Thursday evening wee bit late due to traffic and a slightly delayed start. I phoned the inn keeper, David to let him know we'd be arriving a bit later than check-in. He was more than courteous and left our keys in a place where we could easily access them. The delight continued as we made our way to our room (Back Cove). The room was well appointed with plenty of space, a large bath tub, plush towels, dish for jewelry/change, DVD player, AC, spacious closet, etc. The entire room was well decorated with high-quality, tasteful linens.

The next morning we were delighted to wake up to a very ample breakfast spread that included yogurts, fresh squeezed juices, coffee, tea, fresh-made baked goods, custard, and a wonderful apple crisp-like offering. We met David who was helpful in suggesting activities and places to eat.

Over the course of the weekend, we were more and more thrilled with our stay. David has truly thought of every last detail, including a lovely sitting room with a great selection of DVDs and homemade afternoon snacks. He also has set out a listing of some of his favorite places in the city for dining, which was a nice touch since we didn't exactly come prepared :-).

All and all, our stay far exceeded our expectations. What was more surprising is that the Inn hasn't been open for very long (a little over a year, maybe more), and you would never have guessed it by how smoothly everything there runs. The Morrill Mansion is a gem and what I feel is the best option for travellers staying in or around the Portland area.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OutofRange331
Reviewed November 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Morrill Mansion a few weeks ago for an anniversary trip, and were very happy with the inn and our room. The décor was really tasteful and the building was historically renovated with great architectural details. We stayed in the Morrill Suite, which had lots of space and was very comfortable. And not a lace doily or antique doll in sight...excellent! The room also has a jacuzzi tub and a mini fridge stocked with water. The room was well-prepared with wine glasses and a corkscrew, a TV and DVD player, and plenty of non-bed seating.

Breakfast was delicious, and the afternoon cider and baked goods were an extra treat. There’s also a DVD library and board games to borrow.

David, the innkeeper, was helpful and courteous without being intrusive. He was happy to give us suggestions on where to go and what to do, but was never overbearing. We’ve stayed in a handful of bed and breakfasts, and were very impressed with his renovation, management, and cooking.

We liked the location—it’s not right downtown, so it’s quiet. It’s a 5-10 minute drive, or probably a twenty minute walk, to the Old Port area (which is where many of the shops and restaurants are). The weather wasn’t great while we were there, so we drove; parking wasn’t difficult.

One tip if you make a trip to Portland, regardless of where you stay: make dinner reservations in advance! There were a couple of restaurants that we wanted to try but couldn't get in to. One we did make it to that was excellent—Walters.

We will definitely stay at the Morrill Mansion again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple