“great italian food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caiola's - CLOSED

Caiola's
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
California
“great italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

food was really good and the service was good. It is a little gem in a neighborhood area. Make reservations as it is small.

Visited August 2014

Dallas
“Top notch and very reasonable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Very intimate. Sauces display the talent of a superb chef. I tasted my wife's entre of Chicken Marsala with a side of rigatoni and thought it was the best. The Marsala sauce was so rich and flavorful and the sauce on the rigatoni was superb. The quality of the San Marzano tomatoes really came through.
I enjoyed my sea food Zappa. Food is prepared well,flavorful and hot and service is paced well and efficient.

Visited August 2014
Portland, Maine
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

On a recommendation we tried Caiola's for the first time. We were escorted through the not-so-clean kitchen to our table. (Should have taken that as a sign as other reviewers have mentioned this.) The waitress was disinterested in us, as well as the other tables she was servicing. Our appetizer, Little Gem Lettuce with Bacon, Oven Roasted Tomatoes and Gorgonzola Dressing, was very small (I understand gem lettuce is small but with only a few small pieces of bacon, a couple of tomatoes and a drizzle of dressing, that's really small). None of the flavors stood out.
The entrees came, they looked very nice. I cut into mine, Chicken Marsala, and with the first bite, found a long hair. That was the end of my meal! We had to go get the waitress to tell her. She offered to take it to the kitchen. She came back to say they were making another one. I told her I did not want another one since I had lost my appetite. My friend wanted to leave right then but I wanted him to finish his meal. It was a mistake since it was disappointing.
No one ever came over to apologize or compensate me for my meal. We asked for the bill and the waitress just said they took my meal off the bill. Well...yeah, I didn't (couldn't) eat it! Gee thanks! Won't be back.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Donna S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Disappointing, but we'll try again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We chose this restaurant in Portland's west end (a new area to us that looks a lot like Cambridge, MA) because it was listed in David Buchanan's book TASTE, MEMORY (featuring the local food movement and resurgence of heirloom fruits and vegetables) as his favorite neighborhood restaurant in Portland. Included in our party were two "foodies" and two picky eaters who expected a more pasta-intensive menu in an Italian restaurant and were accordingly skeptical. While the Chicken Marsala and steak selected by the two non-foodies received rave reviews, the cod special touted as "fantastic" by a waitress (who kept reminding us that she was brand new) was both overcooked/dry and accompanied by a weird pairing of lentils and a watery bland vegetable that did not seem to suit it. The paella, which took forever to prepare and serve (seemingly holding up everything else), contained little if any chorizo and the taste of its broth was tainted by scorching around the rim of the pan. In summary, although this experience was quite disappointing in many respects, we will try again because we got the impression that the food is ordinarily much better.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank carpathianarts
Boston
“It's not just about the food-redux”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had a nice meal at Caiola's: good-very good food and pleasant service and ambiance BUT we have to echo an earlier review which questioned sanitation practices at this restaurant. We were seated near the area where bread is prepped for the tables. Several servers were cutting the bread and putting it into baskets with bare hands--the same servers who were bussing tables, handling credit cards and cash etc...and not obviously washing their hands between these assorted tasks. Having done a lot of backpacking in our lives, we are not particularly squeamish about eating in "informal" circumstances, but at a highly rated restaurant, one expects accordance with food handling codes. (One also has to wonder what is going on behind the scenes). Otherwise-a solid neighborhood place which would warrant 4 stars.

• Visited July 2014