“Favorite restaurant in Portland”
Review of Caiola's - CLOSED

Caiola's
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We were in Portland for two nights and loved this place so much we had both of our dinner here. The restaurant is two blocks from our hotel which also made it very convenient. It is your place to go neighborhood restaurant. The chicken marsala is to die for, had it both nights. The menu changes but I think it is a staple. Very friendly wait staff and the place is clean but somewhat loud. We love it here.

1  Thank castlefan

Reviewed June 17, 2014

my wife found out about this place from the inn we were staying at,(inn on carlton). we walked to the restarant and had low expectations. we were blown away!! From the scallion herb butter the the fresh salad to the chicken marsala it was off the charts.we will be back for sure. Choose this for dinner and enjoy!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

The restaurant is in a residential area of Portland. It has two eating sections, you walk through the kitchen to get back section. We were fine with that. Pretty cool, actually, though I think some people may be put out. The front section was very noisy on a Saturday night. Not very good acoustics. The back section a little less so. It's got really nice atmosphere, upscale, but don't need to get dressed up. Although I appreciated that a lot of the clientele were kind of dressed for a night out.

My husband got the paella -- lots of seafood, and just the right amount of rice. He's picky, and he said it was wonderful. I got a seafood couscous dish which was not as good. A little bland. We split a baklava for dessert. Very good, but I wouldn't call it a traditional baklava. Almost more like a bar, still - tasty.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We love this local eatery with fresh, yummy food and a helpful staff. The dinner was amazing - although plan on sitting and chatting between courses - by design to make it a more intimate experience.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

The food was delicious, but staff need education on cleanliness. I watched one worker (maybe a hostess) do multiple tasks such as run food, bus/clean tables, and deliver menus. Then, she wiped her hands on the back of her pants and fiddled with her hair before slicing bread for diners. Not once did she wash her hands or wear gloves and this happened repeatedly. I found it interesting that guests were able to walk unaccompanied through the kitchen to get to another dining area. Surely this isn't sanitary! I also waited over 10 minutes for the dessert menu and by the time I got it, I (along with two other tables) was frustrated and ready to leave. As mentioned before, however, the food was wonderful. I hate to leave a negative review, but it was hard not to notice the poor health practices.

3  Thank HarmoniaRM