“Delicious local Italian”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just as good as some of the big name restaurants, this place has a local following but treats tourists just fine. An interesting by the glass wine list, too.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This restaurant is so good! It's hidden away from the Old Port section of Portland, so it seems that few tourists find their way here. We were staying close by and had heard great things so decided to give it a try. It's a small restaurant, so reservations on a Saturday night were definitely helpful. The waitress was extremely friendly, answering questions and offering suggestions on both wine and food. We started with a cheese plate that came with more than enough crostinis (don't you hate it when they only give you two or three?!), nuts, fruit, jams, etc. It was excellent! For our entrees, my husband ordered the filet mignon while I ordered the hake (a whitefish). Both were prepared perfectly. My fish came with pureed cauliflower and quinoa and every bit of the meal was delicious.

Definitely a place to try if you are in town!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

It is hard to start this review without a positive. There are some evenings when restaurants have a "bad" night. Unfortunately, there are no positives to explain our dining experience last night at Caiola's. A family of six (2 children) with reservations, were placed in tight fitting front end booth. We were the only dining customers at 5:45, and our menus arrived 10 minutes later, with an apology. The order was taken seven minutes later. The meal arrived at quarter of seven! The food was hardly worth a mention as the effort in its preparation and service were lacking. The service was absolutely abysmal. The chicken marsala was so sweet that our "sweet-tooth" grandson could not eat it. The brocoli was over cooked. The paella was bland in favor and the few shrimp contained in the plate were baked with the rest of the ingredience and came out tough and hard.. This dining experience was a total diaster. We would never ever recommend this place, nor would we ever eat there. Caiola's is not inexpensive; accordingly, one should expect more value in the service, presentation and food for the rather expensive fare.

Residents of Portland

3  Thank firlik
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I came here for one night in July as we were staying in Portland and it was recommended to us by the West End Inn where we were staying just down the street.

I am a vegan (vegetarian, no dairy) and thought one of their pasta dishes might work for me but it had anchovies in the sauce itself. The chef prepared me an off menu vegan dish. The waitress said that the chef had a vegan boyfriend and that she would know what to do. I was served a quionoa with Tuscan potatoes, a variety of veggies, with a couple of sauces. The meal was so nicely spiced and flavorful. I thoroughly enjoyed each bite. Way more than I expected going to a primarily seafood restaurant. I joked with my husband that if I hadn't already met him I would be proposing to the chef ha ha.

Hubby had the seafood Paella which he said was very good but for him was not five star. Right mix and amount of seafood, less rice than normal which was a good thing for him. He didn't like the bread in the bread basket either.

They have a website with a sample menu but their menu changes daily.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Caiola's was right around the corner from our Inn and was recommended by the owner. We stopped by without a reservation and were seated within 5 minutes. The food was fantastic and the wine was outstanding. We both highly recommend this restaurant.