“could have licked the plate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Caiola's - CLOSED

Caiola's
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Australia
“could have licked the plate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am so glad I ate dinner here while in town!

Firstly, their free bread and cheese spread was so good!!! The waitress actually gave me 2 lots since I ate all of the first...it was so good!!

I had a cannelloni dish which was just amazing! Every single bite and desert was something chocolate (can't remember the name) but even after my meal and the bread i ate every last bite of it too...it was unbelivable!!!

I still think about this meal...I will be back just to eat here again!

Visited January 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Simply Amazing Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had the most amazing time, one of favourite meals of all time and we consider ourselves foodies. Starters were polenta fries, beetroot salad with goats cheese and peanut. Quite simply out of this world.

Entrees were Chicken Marsala and homemade canneloni stuffed with pepper, ricotta and spinach. Both dishes were sublime. The chicken marsala sauce is without doubt one of the nicest, we've ever tasted.

Desert was panna cotta with rhubarb consume. What can I say, I've never had any panna cotta ever come close to this. Even my other half who finds panna cotta bland, was tucking into this.

We've read some of the negative comments on here and cant see anything that resembles our experience . The rustic tables, we were told was made by one of the owners and they look amazing.The staff were really helpful and informed and we just had a wonderful night.

One of the nicest evenings we've had. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
Portland
“Always perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been serveral times and always have a great time. The food is flawless!!!! It continues to amaze me that she can put out so many different dishes and each and everyone is perfectly prepared, seasoned and accompanied.
Service is excellent, well informed and timed. You do not feel rushed. It is a cozy atmosphere and a lovely old building.

Visited April 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Ciao, Caiola's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Perhaps I hit it on a rare off night, but I see nothing of accuracy in the majority of the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor regarding Caiola's. The tables looked like they came from a rummage sale (rustic? generous term); they had NO BREAD and offered no substitute; and the meals were not even close to Italian portions - very disappointed. Seriously I went out and had dessert elsewhere after the meal, an almost unheard of not filling up on pasta experience...

I will say that what I ordered (a pasta dish with a red sauce especially) was very tasty - but very pricey, too. Shall we say overpriced? I'll say it. A beet salad was good enough, but again smallish and overpriced - but pretty!

I've never known anyone who has satisfied their palate on "atmosphere" and I've been to too many other restaurants in Portland and elsewhere that easily surpassed the ambiance of this small (translation for cozy) eatery. It wasn't crowded when I visited, but if it had been I think "cramped" would have substituted for "small".

The service was friendly and quite adequate, and the only reason I'm rating this "average" is that what was served was indeed tasty and had personality. Otherwise it would have dropped another grade. The creativity of the chef gets credit for saving an otherwise poor experience, which is a shame because all of the drawbacks could have easily been avoided by the management, especially something as basic as running out of bread and not offering anything else in its stead... Caiola's is lucky it's not located in Italy, the Carabinieri may have had to get involved!

• Visited March 2013
MIDDLETOWN
“Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Excellent cozy restaurant. Food was plentiful and good. Great wine list. Service was good. Wonderful place for a cozy causal meal. Reservations are recommended.

• Visited April 2013