“Great little Italian Place on Pine St.”
Review of Caiola's - CLOSED

Caiola's
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Gray, Maine
“Great little Italian Place on Pine St.”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had a wonderful meal here the other night with friends. I'm glad we called ahead and made reservations because the place is tiny, but with the reservations they sat us right on time. I had the paella and it was great. The staff was wonderful. A Portland classic.

Devon UK
“Hidden Jem”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were recommended this great little Italian restaurant by Deb of the neighbouring West End Inn B&B and it was a splendid choice with very authentic Italian cuisine. We both had the black sea bass which was perfect. The place was packed with very friendly locals.

Keswick, Virginia
“Neighborhood gem away from the tourists”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

A Maine travel magazine touted Caiola's as new place with creative chefs..they were so right! The menu choices were rather limited, but each dishes we tried were different from others we'd ever had, perfectly done. The paella was outstanding and my wife raved about the spicy chicken, sausage dish she had. Our only complaint was that the noise level was very loud, parking was limited too, but It was nice to be away from the tourist area of downtown.

Columbus, Ohio
“Cozy dining experience in Portland's West End”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My dad and I (after hours of deliberation) decided to try Caiolas recently. Am I glad we made that decision. Caoilas is a small restaurant with maybe 15 tables. The menu was varied but stayed true to "Mediterranean influence". I started with a caesar salad with fried oysters. The salad was fresh with the right amount of dressing. The oysters we fresh with a spicy batter. The remoulade served with the oysters was a little too salty but the flavor was reminiscent of olives and capers. Overall it was a well composed salad. For my entree I chose the Paella. And I felt relieved that when I asked to have it made without peppers that I was accommodated. The shellfish was fresh and tasty, the chorizo was UH MAZE ING, and the chicken leg in the middle of my dish was tender, juicy and well seasoned. It was a fantastic paella. The sangria here is very good (it is a red wine based sangria). There aren't any beers on draft but the wine list was extensive and they have a full bar.
If you are looking for a cozy place that serves mediterranean influenced cuisine in a fun neighborhood with an excellent staff - I would highly recommend this place.

• Visited September 2012
East Lansing, Michigan
“Great food and ambiance”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I ate here at the recommendation of our inn keeper. We had a lovely meal -- he had paella and I had the burger. Both were delicious. Our server was very attentive and we would definitely recommend it to others.