“Brunch in Porland, ME”

The Front Room Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #62 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: If you’re looking for a great brunch spot in Portland, Maine you have come to the right place! The Front Room offers a variety of affordable dishes that the entire family will love. Chef Lee Harding has dedicated his life to the culinary arts and focuses on using only the freshest Maine ingredients in his creations. His philosophy is simple; use the best local ingredients to convey the boldest flavors. With a vibrant atmosphere and open dining room, The Front Room continues to be a hit among Portland locals. Huge portions of sensational dishes will fill you up without breaking your wallet. The Front room is the third restaurant founded in Harding’s “The Rooms” brand of restaurants, so don’t miss out on this local hotspot! Remember, The Front Room serves brunch seven days a week and with menu items like Biscuits and Gravy or Omelets and Silver Dollar Pancakes. You can’t go wrong! If you are interested in dinning with us later in the day, try some local favorites like Short Ribs or Lamb Shepard’s pie. A fully stocked bar, open from 8am-11pm, complemented by an energetic atmosphere makes the Front Room a must for those who crave a great neighborhood spot to call their own.
“Brunch in Porland, ME”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We visit Portland every other year and have made it a point to have brunch at the Front Room at least once during our stay. The service is friendly and fast and the food is excellent. One of our party is a vegan as well as being glutton intolerant so we have problems finding something for her to eat at any restaurant. A salad is the best we could do here.

centerville oh
“Off the beaten path”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Front Room is located in a residential neighborhood, a little off the beat path. But not so off the path that savvy foodies know this is a great little place to eat. Comfort food such as meatloaf is on the menu, which changes almost daily with delish specials. I had the flank steak with blu cheese which was good but I believe my wife’s scallops were better. She always orders something better than me!

This place is small and a bit cramped, a small bar and you will sit fairly close to your fellow diners. There is an open kitchen which is fun to watch, they were just busting it out the night we went. A small 20 minute wait outside which is about normal.

They only small negative was I thought it was a bit hot inside, not sure if AC was running but they had small windows open, and with the kitchen, a full house it took me a while to “cool” down. A super nice and hustling maître d’ we appreciated her getting us a table quickly.

Rockville, Maryland
“Mac and Cheese and Happy Hour”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We could not get into the restaurant we initially visited, so we walked down the street to The Front Room, and were we glad we did! The hostess and waiter were as friendly as they could be, despite the fact that they were very busy. The macaroni and cheese (with hot dogs, no less) was delicious, as was the arugula salad with beets and goat cheese and the oyster appetizer. Our friends loved their mussels and steak. Go during happy hour--the drinks were great and cheap. If we lived in Portland (ah, some day!), this would definitely be a place we would frequent!

Visited July 2014
Portland, Maine
“Too Hot to Fully Appreciate”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We are frequent visitors to The Front Room and recently visited on a very hot and humid night. Our meals were good but the lack of effective air conditioning had an impact on the overall experience. I couldn't wait to finish and get out. We shared an arugula and beat salad with warm goat cheese which was huge, however the arugula seemed like it should have been "retired" a day earlier - too many yellow leaves and it lacked the bite that it should have when it's fresh. Our meals were the half roasted chicken with buttermilk mashed and spinach and cod with mushroom bacon risotto and spinach. The chicken meal got an A+ and the cod got a B- because there was way too many thick cut chunks of bacon and the cod was seasoned with a little too much salt. Can't beat the Happy Hour (4:00 to 6:00) prices of drinks - white wine at $2.00 a glass.

Visited July 2014
Portland, Maine
“Good Food - Good Friends”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I've been to the Front Room a half dozen times, though it has been a little while. I went recently on an invite with a friend, who had a generous amount coupon- he had not been before. We arrived just before the lunch hour and the place was only half full, so we were able to be seated straight-away. Despite this- the restaurant is very loud with poor absorption of sound (and this has always been true in my experience). However, the food and service are quite good, and this trip was no exception.

For beverages we ordered a coffee, OJ, and combo OJ w/spritz of soda water and blood orange puree. The latter was just okay. I did not finish it. Food choices were better, as we both loved our meals. My friend had the yellow pound cake on special (two thick slices, grilled) and I had the polenta with roasted red pepper (and other veggie bits) soup, also on special. It was creamy and flavorful. For entree my friend ordered a 3-egg omelette with swiss cheese, onion, mushroom and bacon, though it came alone on an oversized plate and looked pretty lonely all by itself. I had the Mac n' cheese (local cheddar, hotdog slices, crispy crumb topping) with mesclun greens side salad with oil dressing. It was a substantial serving for the price (both pasta and salad) and was very satisfying.

Our server, "Sophie" was friendly and efficient, as was the hostess... and we couldn't help but gawk at the handsome, buff bartender (he didn't seem to mind) who also ran food plates back and forth from the kitchen for his counter customers. With coupon, tax and tip... we got out of there for about $15- all told. I'd say it was a very good deal. I like the Front Room, despite the noise, and plan to return. Though perhaps next time, we'll sit at the counter so we can gawk a little more closely.