“Hidden Gem on Munjoy Hill”

The Front Room Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #61 of 620 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: If you’re looking for a great brunch spot in Portland, Maine you have come to the right place! The Front Room offers a variety of affordable dishes that the entire family will love. Chef Lee Harding has dedicated his life to the culinary arts and focuses on using only the freshest Maine ingredients in his creations. His philosophy is simple; use the best local ingredients to convey the boldest flavors. With a vibrant atmosphere and open dining room, The Front Room continues to be a hit among Portland locals. Huge portions of sensational dishes will fill you up without breaking your wallet. The Front room is the third restaurant founded in Harding’s “The Rooms” brand of restaurants, so don’t miss out on this local hotspot! Remember, The Front Room serves brunch seven days a week and with menu items like Biscuits and Gravy or Omelets and Silver Dollar Pancakes. You can’t go wrong! If you are interested in dinning with us later in the day, try some local favorites like Short Ribs or Lamb Shepard’s pie. A fully stocked bar, open from 8am-11pm, complemented by an energetic atmosphere makes the Front Room a must for those who crave a great neighborhood spot to call their own.
Ottawa
“Hidden Gem on Munjoy Hill”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Ate at the Front Room for breakfast while on vacation in Maine. We were renting a townhouse on Munjoy Hill, so the Front Room was just a quick 2-minute walk down Congress St. I ordered the steak and eggs, while my wife had the gnocchi with bacon, spinach, and poached eggs.

My steak was a perfect medium (what I ordered), beautifully seared on the outside, and properly seasoned. The eggs were spot on, and the fried potatoes and brioche were both excellent. My wife enjoyed her breakfast gnocchi as well.

The service was prompt and attentive, and the restaurant was quiet, with only about 3 tables seated (we were there on a Wednesday morning). For the quality of the food and the generous portions, the prices were a bargain.

• Visited May 2014

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Perfect Breakfast”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

After many recommendations, I finally tried The Front Room for breakfast. Early on a weekday, there was no wait and we got seated right away. Looking at the menu, there were so many great options and daily specials that it was hard to choose. I had the brioche French toast which was sweet and delicious. But the home fries were the star. They were big potato chunks that were crispy with pieces of onions and peppers. I would go back specifically for them. Service was quick and attentive. I won't hesitate to make this my regular breakfast spot!

• Visited May 2014
Portland, Maine
“Good Food - Too Loud”
Reviewed May 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Not every place can get and excellent rating right? Seated immediately, service promptly, but food wasn't perfect, and eventually I found myself leaning so far over the table to hear my dining partner that my back hurt. Pretty bad acoustics made this less than stellar, but very good overall

Visited May 2014
Portland, Maine
“Good food, can be noisy”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Have been here several times for both lunch and dinner. Food and service is consistently very good. The cocktail menu is creative. The space can get rather loud and unfortunately they don't take reservations.

• Visited April 2014
Westbrook, Maine
“Avoid peak hours”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I went to dinner there around 5:30. Could barely get in the door. It seems a lot of diners (including myself) had waited till the last minute to use their Groupon or Living Social coupons and it's not a very big restaurant. I was told there would be a 45 minute wait and I expressed willingness to sit at the bar. The hostess helped me by telling me which people at the bar were waiting for a table and where they were on the list. So I tapped Bob (second from the top of the list) on the shoulder, let him know he was second up, and let him know I would be taking his seat--but he got up and offered me his seat right away instead. My coupon was for $35 so I ordered the fried oysters, beet salad with goat cheese, and spaghetti carbonara, and chatted with my "neighbors" while waiting for my order. The 4 fried oysters were crispy with a sauce tasting of mustard. Quickly consumed. Loved the beet salad--crispy greens, cubes of delicately pickled beets, a frothy mound of whipped mild goat cheese on top. Didn't appear to have many beets but they were buried under the greens. Saved some for takeout. Waited awhile for the spaghetti--a big mound (I always like leftovers so I don't have to cook). I would have preferred less parmesan cheese and smaller pieces of salty pork (maybe bacon). Couldn't tell if white wine had been added. Street parking only and with the number of driveways in the neighborhood, a space close by is hard to find. There are a few tables outside and a few hardy souls sat in the (moderately) cold while they waited.

• Visited April 2014