“Loved Vinland”
Review of Vinland

Reserve with OpenTable
Vinland is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 609 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Scandinavian, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Comfortable. Delicious. Nourishing. Vinland is the first restaurant in the United States to serve 100% local, organic food. The perfect place to make an ordinary night special. Local food for local people.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I live in Portland and dine out frequently. Vinland was a treat. The food was great, but so is the food at many Portland restaurants. As long as the food is good it is the attention to detail, the service, and the overall comfort and ambience which will keep me returning to Vinland. They have real tables, not high tops or benches, comfortable chairs, serene decor and there is no music blasting you out of the place. It was a delight and I already have my next reservation made.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Went for brunch. Had the roast beef and an amazing cocktail. Left perfectly sate and extremely happy. Thanks for the outstanding service. If Vinland is doing local food this well in the middle of winter, I can't wait to see what's in store for the summer months. I'm looking forward to coming in for dinner.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I went to Vinland with anticipation and trepidation. I wanted to try to the "100% local" (with the exception of the beverages) restaurant, but I had read a review in the local paper in January which left me wondering if the experience would live up to the menu prices posted online.

I would say that it did.

I think you're definitely paying a premium for the commitment to 100% local, but I think it's a reasonable premium based on my experience at Vinland.

The service was pleasant and attentive. We were seated promptly for our 8PM reservation. The atmosphere was lively but not overwhelmingly loud.

My husband wanted the scallops, so I ordered the pollack. I would definitely choose the scallops if I were to go back. The assortment of root vegetables (especially the burdock root) on my pollack were tasty enough, but the pollack itself didn't quite pack a flavor punch and left me feeling satisfied but not wowed. Perhaps it's the ghee vs. olive oil, or maybe it just need more seasoning. Or a bit of both. Not sure, but it was a solid dish.

We had the white pine ice cream for dessert. It was lovely -- very light flavor.

I especially enjoyed the amuse bouche courtesy of the kitchen -- the beet chip really stood out for amazing flavor in one bite.

Definitely worth visiting Vinland if you believe in buying and eating local.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We came to the restaurant with family and got to taste quite a few dishes and cocktails. The raw beef was fabulous and reminded me of good sashimi. Veggie snacks and sides were very inventive and a treat, especially the oat polenta. The mussels were delightful. I didn't get a chance to try the pork and scallops, but heard that they were delicious too.
The ambiance is quite pleasant, very Scandinavian. The chef came out and talked to us about the dishes, his inspirations and how they make it (the only things on the menu not local are wine and coffee, everything is seasonal).
The cocktails were interesting and delicious twists on classics, but without sugar.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've reviewed a lot of restaurants for Trip Advisor. Vinland however is the first that I will say is 'Not to be missed'. A lot of thought has gone into the making of this restaurant. Yes it's 'Local', and "Farm to Table", and 'Organic', but really what we have is one of the most innovative and interesting menus around. I will admit that the standards and concerns for the 'footprint' of food are compelling, but it will be the craft of the meal itself that is remembered. Start with Vinland's rum drink, through the delicate soups, and the complex scallops, and you will be amazed. I wonder where I have had such a fun, exciting, and serious meal before? Vinland is not cheap, nor should it be. This is the restaurant to go to. I look forward to many happy returns.