“First time for Poutine, won't be the last!”
Review of Duckfat

Duckfat
Ranked #10 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed April 20, 2010

My husband and I spent a long weekend in Portland, and put Duckfat on our list of places to try after reading the reviews. I had glass of white wine which was a bit pricier than expected ($7), but was surprisingly good. We ordered the Poutine, and after a bit of a wait, the waitress came over and expressed surprise that we had not received it yet. In a couple of minutes this amazing mound of fries with gravy and cheese appeared. I am not a huge french fry person, but I could not stop eating these! Just amazing. Then to top it off, our waitress brought us some complimentary beignets as an apology for taking time with the Poutine. These were also incredibly good. This will definitely be on our list of stops next time we are in Portland.

Reviewed April 17, 2010

I cannot comment on the food because after standing just inside the front door which housed a small bar and a very small "dining area" I was never seated. After entering the establishment my friend and I stood unacknowledged by two employees for no less than 5 minutes. What ever happened to making your guests feel welcome? The employees were clearly busy but no so busy that they couldn't have glanced in our direction and said "someone will be right with you". During these 5 minutes my friend and I tried to get the attention of the staff, when they walked within inches of us and we were still ignored. I am very disappointed because I've read great things about this establishment. Rest assured that I will never return. I don't think this will impact their business and frankly this is not my intent. I do, however, hope they read this and at least CARE that I had a terrible customer service experience.

1  Thank mishbelz
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Yes the French Fries are out-of-this-world divine - and yes that alone is reason to come here (I do) - but they do anything and everything really VERY well and you will leave here happy with a huge smile on your face (I do). The PERFECT lunch spot!

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Even my wife loved the fries! This is a fun place, not for the stodgy, and it was bustling at lunch on Saturday - we had a 25 minute wait after giving our name. And it was worth it. Like many others, we shared our paninis and ordered a large fries for the 4 of us. And check out Two Fat Cats bakery and the Italian grocery store within a stone's throw. We will be back on our next trip.

1  Thank WaterwratBleu
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I only had the Poutine, but it was the best! Smothered in duck fat gravy and cheese curds! The rest of the menu looked great as well and I would go back in a second if I was ever back in Portland.

1  Thank piglet484

Been to Duckfat? Share your experiences!