“Amazing Fries and Panini! Definitely Worth a Visit!”
Review of Duckfat

Duckfat
Ranked #9 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Prior to our visit, we had heard that Duckfat gets very busy and waits can be long. Keeping this in mind, we went right when they opened at 11 for lunch. Right after we sat down, the floodgates slowly opened, and by the time we left they were full. We walked by about an hour later and they appeared to be on a long wait. So go early. Now to the food…It was outstanding. I started with the poutine (french fries with gravy and cheese curds). They were insane. Best fries I have ever had. My wife had the plain fries, and she raved about them as well. For my meal I had a lamb meatloaf panini. This too was fabulous. My wife had a haddock panini which was good, but not great like mine was. I was very pleased with Duckfat and 100% will revisit them if and when we find ourselves in the Portland area again. It is a small place, and very popular, but it is worth it! Go!

1  Thank Dhasek
There are newer reviews for Duckfat

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Since seating at lunch was going to take 40+ minutes, my husband and I decided to get take-out (30+mins) and bring it on the Casco Bay boat ride. This delicious food does not travel well. We got two Panini sandwiches and an order of fries for $33. and brought them on the boat cruise. The food was soggy--completely our fault! I would go back again and try to eat on site. Be aware of a long wait and small quarters. There is not a shaded area to wait but I believe the sacrifice is worth the wait.

1  Thank irishhadc
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Having recently been to Belgium and tasted amazing french fries, I was hoping to have a similar experience here and was not disappointed. These fries are ridiculous!! Great local beer selection on tap. Additional food available was good as well. Cute little space. Expect to wait...but well worth it! Small covered area outside with tables. Some shared tables inside. Don't hesitate to go!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

After a morning of exploring the Portland Headlight, my boyfriend and I (mostly I) were very hungry. We had a little bit of a wait, but were seated before finishing a round of beer. We ordered a small thing of fries and the sandwich platter. At first the platter looked small for the price, but it was so filling and well-crafted, it was obvious this restaurant was created by someone who knew what s/he was doing in terms of the food. Overall, the only cons could be the wait-time (though it's a sign of a great place!) and the slightly higher-than-preferred price (though you get what you pay for).

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I stopped here after our trip to the Shipyard brewery which is very close. It's a tiny place with some outside seating. We walked in and saw two seats at the bar so went to sit down. A harried waitress stopped us and said that you had to be seated at the bar. She took a quick look at something and then said we could sit there. It was obvious there wasn't anyone waiting for a seat so I thought that was kind of odd. Anyway, we ordered two beers and a small fry. I had an Allagash white which was very tasty. We tried the garlic mayo with the fries. I thought they were really good. My husband said nothing special. I certainly didn't notice any special taste from being fried in duck fat but it was a nice snack. The menu is small as well but looked really tasty.

Been to Duckfat? Share your experiences!