“Closed for Renovation??”

Duckfat
Ranked #16 of 615 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Tried to go there Friday night 5/2 and it was not open, scaffolds out front, interior torn up and no explanation on front door.

1  Thank BigDaddyNearBoston
Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The french fries (cooked in duck fat) are heavenly, but the panini and milkshakes are delicious, too. I would definitely return to Duckfat on a future visit to Portland.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Belgian fries were the reason we went here and it's convenience to the Hampton Inn Waterfront. It is a small place but has great atmosphere. We ordered the special which was a sandwich board which offered three choices. Very tasty. Service was goodl Would go here again to try other menu options.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

It was very good, excellent in fact. We were more then impressed. Instead of waiting an hour an a half at 3pm, we elected for the take out and eat outside. Much better option, they pack the togo food very well and everything was hot, or cold - milkshake. I would highly recommend and would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I really appreciate what they are doing with this restaurant, great ambiance, fresh quality food, etc but I wasn't overly impressed. But perhaps it was just what we ordered.

My fiance and I showed up tired and hungry, so after a 30 minute wait to be seated, we ordered rather quickly off the menu. We shared a large poutine, a ham sandwich, and a "rootbeer", then donut holes for desert. I love poutine, but I'm a bit picky about it and this one was a bit of a miss for me, needed more cheese and gravy. Everything tasted good, but it didn't quite live up to what we were hoping. Except the donuts, those were really good.

One thing we didn't get, however, was dipping sauce for the fries (because we had poutine) but everyone else in the restaurant seemed to be using little cups of sauce, at least one of which was aoli, which I love.

So, overall, good spot but based on what we ordered it wasn't quite what we hoped for. However, we'll be back for fries with garlic aoli and donut holes...as long as we don't have to wait 30 minutes to be seated.