“Very very good.”

Duckfat
Ranked #10 of 605 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed April 22, 2014

It was very good, excellent in fact. We were more then impressed. Instead of waiting an hour an a half at 3pm, we elected for the take out and eat outside. Much better option, they pack the togo food very well and everything was hot, or cold - milkshake. I would highly recommend and would definitely eat there again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I really appreciate what they are doing with this restaurant, great ambiance, fresh quality food, etc but I wasn't overly impressed. But perhaps it was just what we ordered.

My fiance and I showed up tired and hungry, so after a 30 minute wait to be seated, we ordered rather quickly off the menu. We shared a large poutine, a ham sandwich, and a "rootbeer", then donut holes for desert. I love poutine, but I'm a bit picky about it and this one was a bit of a miss for me, needed more cheese and gravy. Everything tasted good, but it didn't quite live up to what we were hoping. Except the donuts, those were really good.

One thing we didn't get, however, was dipping sauce for the fries (because we had poutine) but everyone else in the restaurant seemed to be using little cups of sauce, at least one of which was aoli, which I love.

So, overall, good spot but based on what we ordered it wasn't quite what we hoped for. However, we'll be back for fries with garlic aoli and donut holes...as long as we don't have to wait 30 minutes to be seated.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Of course the Belgian fries and dipping sauces are excellent, even if you don't usually eat fries. What impressed me most were the exceptionally delicious soups. We had the parsnip soup and the tomato soup, and both were prepared to perfection, interesting and complex. What goes with a great bowl a soup? A great panini, of course. The panini sandwiches here are also exceptional and satisfying. I had the duck confit and my mate had the portobello mushroom, and both were tasty. If you are visiting Portland, a meal at Duckfat is a must.

1  Thank merlinslap
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was a highly anticipated meal as I had wanted to eat at Duck Fat since I moved to Maine. The reviews and hype lived up to my expectations and I can't wait to return. I actually loved that the menu was small as it meant I wasn't overwhelmed-my husband ordered House Cured Ham and Cheese on Rye and I ordered Roast Pork Belly sandwich...yum, yum and yum is all I have to say.

The only downsides were that the wait was 30 Minutes long, so don't turn up expecting to get seated right away and if you are waiting, there is almost no room to wait and the pagers work within a block radius. Also, not suggested for large groups as there aren't many seating options for large groups.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'm not a big fan of french fries, but because I'd heard so much about them at Duck Fat, I had to give them a try here. Thank goodness I did. They come with an amazing selection of dips and are really wonderful. Now I can't remember what else we ate, only that it was quite delicious.
The place is popular and very crowded so be prepared to both go early and wait for your table. It is apt to be noisy but you must go and try the food. It's worth all the hassle.