“Always excellent”

Duckfat
Ranked #16 of 616 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Second time in...late lunch and wanted to be hungry for dinner, so just had shakes and fries. We had a 40-minute wait, so had plenty of time to wander downtown first. My only criticism is that we got the bottom of the fryer basket, meaning we had mostly nubs for fries. Our own fault for not sending them back. Still, Duckfat is as good as suggested by most of the reviews.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband was skeptical about this restaurant given the name but he soon changed his mind. We selected the pouting which is large bowl of fries cooked in duck fat, smoothed in gravy with chunks of duck meat, sprinkled with cheese curds and topped with fried egg. Wow! We saved just enough room for an order of citrus scented donut holes fried in you guessed it, duck fat. To dip, we were given caramel made with duck fat. It was gooey and rich with just the right amount of sweetness. Our waiter told us that during peak season, wait is one hour or more. I'm glad we went in the off season. We will definitely return.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

The title of the review refers to the fact that they have an enclosed canopy out front to cut down on the cold drafts and the front of the place looks different than it does on the Tripadvisor site. But it was well worth the cold ears (12 degrees last night). My wife and I tried to order as many different things as we felt we could comfortably put away and got two spoons, straws, etc with each.

Everything was excellent, arrived piping hot and the service was great. Had fries with Thai mayo, squash soup, salad with some interesting purple radishes, panini and finished off with a milkshake and doughnut holes. Yummy!

The service was excellent - efficient and friendly. We sat the the bar long the side wall and enjoyed the magnetic word game on the adjacent wall. All in all a great meal. We'll be back.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Portland last weekend and took in some of the town's better restaurants. We stopped here for lunch and were so surprised that the experience actually exceeded expectations even after their highly positive reviews. What a great find for us as we loved the tasty soups, salads and paninis. Everything was notably creative and fresh. I wish we could duplicate something like this closer to home as their food model is perfect for casual dining. Great food, excellent value and appealing friendly service.

I would think of this place though as more of a lunch stop as the atmosphere is very casual with high top table sitting mainly or sitting communally. But, for a quick casual dinner the food is so good I wouldn't hesitate from coming in for a casual dinner as well.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I ate Sunday supper there and were able to walk right in. Yes, the fries alone are worth a visit. My beet salad is one of the best I've ever had...a variety of delicious beets, with greens and a light, tasty dressing. So fresh! My husband enjoyed his duck confit Panini. So decadent! Good wine; reasonable small selection. All capped off by the warm doughnut holes with caramel dipping sauce. Service was friendly and excellent. Wish we had something even close to this in New Jersey.

1  Thank joyfultraveller_10

Been to Duckfat? Share your experiences!