“Fantastic”

Duckfat
Ranked #10 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Arrived at Duckfat at noon and the place was full. After a short wait we were seated at the bar and promptly served. The fries are world-class and the sandwiches were excellent. The place is small but they move people through so don't be discouraged by a line-up.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We came here for a late lunch, thinking mostly of the gourmet fries and nice local beer selection. We were pleasantly surprised by the overall atmosphere of the place and the quality of the rest of the food.

We had about a half-hour wait on a Monday afternoon, but the weather was pleasant and we passed the time outside. Once we ate, we shared an order of the delicious french fries (yes, they are as good as everyone says), a couple of sandwiches (the BGT -- Bacon, Goat Chese, and Tomato -- was outstanding), and a tomato salad plate. Everything was well beyond our expectations. The tomato plate was especially amazing, with local fresh tomatoes prepared three different ways with fresh basil and walnut pesto. I don't even like tomatoes and I was blown away.

It's crowded, loud, and small ... but the food was great, and I'd go back in an instant.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Poutine was excellent. Paninis were good, but the poutine and fries are really the stars of this place. Wish I had saved some room for the donut holes, they looked awesome. Seating was tight, but worth it.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I took the waitresses suggestion and ordered the charcuterie....with three selections. Also, the watermelon gazpacho. Everything was awesome. Server was amazing.....I knew I'd over ordered, but I wanted to try a few different things, and knew I might not be back in Portland. When she realized I was from out of town, she created a carry out pack with my leftovers, complete with cups of ice to keep it cool. I was impressed. If ever in Portland, I will most certainly be back.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Its a hole in the wall bar like so many other places in Portland, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. The food was excellent. I took the advice of reviewers and got fries with tomato truffle ketchup. I also got the duck sandwich. Both tasted great. After a glass of some local draft micro-beer, I was feeling pretty good. The price tag was expensive, but I didn't feel ripped off. I had a really unique meal that I could only experience at this restaurant.

Been to Duckfat? Share your experiences!