“Always a great, flavorful meal.”
Review of Duckfat

Duckfat
Ranked #9 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Every time we visit Portland, we make it a point to stop by Duckfat for lunch. Their food is always fresh and flavorful. You can never go wrong with the fries, handcrafted sodas, shakes, and Paninis. They always have great, simple flavor combinations to their menu items. Went with the kids and they enjoyed their grilled cheese and shakes, while mom and dad enjoyed the more savory fare.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were initially deterred by the long wait, but discovered we could call in an order and pick it up (or just order at the bar). If you do not have time to wait, a call-in order is highly recommended. We ordered the fries, donuts and paninis. The fries were fantastic, and made even better by the dipping sauces. Were they absolutely the best fries of my life? I'm not too sure about that, but they were still great. The donuts were our favorite. We definitely preferred the sweetness of the carmel sauce to the others (seems to cut through the DUCK fat the best). We ordered two batches, and wished we ordered more. We also had the pork belly panini and the duck panini, both of which were excellent. Admittedly, some of the allure of this restaurant is in the name, but we would definitely return again.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We love fries, so couldn't wait to get to Duckfat on our recent trip to Portland. We waited almost an hour (and had an appetizer at a place next door in the meantime), then ordered our fries. I guess I had built them up to be more than a fry could possibly be, because I was underwhelmed. They were definitely good, but not mind-blowing. The large was too big for both of us to finish. The dipping sauces were really good, especially the mustard-mayo combo. They were nice and crispy, which we love. We didn't eat anything else, as we were making a day of eating the 'specialty of the house' at as many restaurants as we could manage. Glad this is checked off the list, but probably wouldn't go back.

1  Thank Tania P
Reviewed July 14, 2013

When I saw this place on Tripadvisor, I made it a point to go there. French fries fried in duck fat? Where else am I going to be able to get that?! We were lucky enough to grab one of the few tables outside, which was nice. The people there are warm, welcoming and friendly. For some reason, my wife and I were trying to decide between the small and large fries. Seriously! Don't waste the energy, just get the large. They are soooooo good! Nicely crisped on the outside and seasoned well, Duckfat offers several different dipping sauces including bot mayonnaise- and ketchup-based. Heavenly!!! I decided to make it a full duck course so got the duck confit panini and the duck fat caramel and sea salt milkshake for dessert. You only live once and if you eat like that every day it will be a short one, but Duckfat is definitely worth repeat visits. They have good beers on tap and are served in mason jars. Very cute and a very cool and delicious place to get your duck fat on. There wee people who stopped just to get milkshakes to go. With flavors like duck fat caramel and burnt honey, you can't pass it up! Will definitely be a destination when in Portland again.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went to this restaurant mainly because of the TA reviews - it was small and trendy and the food was very good. Be sure to check out the menu online before you go - it is not for everyone!

Been to Duckfat? Share your experiences!