“Best breakfast hash I've ever had.”
Review of The Farmer's Table - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Farmer's Table
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean inspired food utilizing local, sustainable ingredients. Two beautiful outdoor decks in season overlooking the Portland Waterfront. Completely organic and sustainable wine list along with a great variety of locally crafted beers. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner in a very comfortable setting.
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I felt this was the best breakfast hash I have ever had, and I've tried a lot. The service and prices were average. The patio is nice if you want to look out at the port.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had heard rave word of mouth reviews and couldn't wait to try it. We pictured having a romantic dinner in an upscale restaurant on our date night. When we walked in, it took some time for the man to look up from the hostess station and acknowledge us and then it was more of a grunt. We said we had reservations which led him to bury his head in the station again. We couldn't understand why he seemed so harried and busy seeing we were the only customers in there. He took us and seated us on the first floor which is pretty much a weathered looking pub. We were handed a wrinkled up menu and off he went. Unfortunately when it was time for our order to be taken it ended up being the same employee. Pretty much we felt like it was an inconvenience to him that we were there. He never smiled, never said his name, and fumbled around reading the specials off his book, and adjusting his glasses and wiping his sweaty forehead. It was unbearably hot in the restaurant and we were uncomfortable. We felt bad for the staff but it was gross that the sweat was dripping off his forehead as he was supposed to be serving our food. It is also annoying that the menu online is different than what was given to us. What I planned on having wasn't even on the menu. Our food came out in an appropriate time frame but then again, there weren't many people there so it should have. We were the only people on the first floor, yet when a single man came in, he was seated at a table right next to us .....not behind, but so close BESIDE us that we could have tapped him on the shoulder. It was very awkward because it wasn't like he was busy talking away to someone. He was just sitting right next to us silently in our conversation..........just the three of us,..... very romantic date night. Common sense would tell you to spread your customers out a little better until the restaurant starts to fill? So we would have had another alcoholic drink to try and cool off but our server never came back to check on if we wanted another. We never found out why he was rushing around so much or inattentive to us because it still wasn't busy when we left. We finally got a half fake smile when he brought the check, we assume because he was happy we were leaving and wanted a good tip. We are not quite sure why we were treated this way, we were polite and never complained about anything. Seeing the other reviews though, I guess we aren't the only ones. Okay so what should be the most important thing but got overshadowed? the food? I got to try shark which was a novelty. Although we weren't crazy about it that isn't the restaurant's fault, we still thought it was fun to try something new. We also had a spicy pasta with seafood dish that was pretty good. So ratings would have been higher if the service wasn't so unfriendly and terrible, updating to the interior and maybe some air conditioning? It's July!

2  Thank Anastasia1117
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Viewing their website one has the impression of an upscale restaurant serving a unique version of Mediterranean cuisine in a relaxed and pleasant setting. In reality, Farmers Table is a burger bar with a few fancier items, a handful of small tables jumbled close together, and harried staff dropping by occasionally. The food is fine and the portions are adequate; our seafood special was creative and enjoyable but somewhat overpriced. There is a nice selection of wines by the glass that would be reasonably priced if the servings were more generous. There is no point mentioning the ambiance because there isn't any. Nor should I bother to mention that we waited 50 minutes from ordering before out entrees were served, partially because our server brought the wrong special the first time.

The Farmers Table is certainly not the place to go for a relaxing and/romantic dinner; there are numerous better restaurants just around the corner. But, again, this is a burger and beer joint and if it were advertised as such we might have an entirely different opinion. But then again there are better burger joints just around the corner too

1  Thank DiamondBill
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in I a sweltering July date for lunch, and although the food was good, it was very small portions. I had the $14 lobster roll and was disappointed. My wife had the chicken salad and it was no bigger than a side salad. No fans in theatea made it hotter inside on this 90+ day. Not a great experience.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and had our date night in Portland tonight and we like to visit a few places for beverages and appetizers. The Farmer's Table was our third and last stop. We sat up on the upper deck which had a lovely view of Portland Harbor. My wife ordered the sangria, and I alas had water (I was driving). I caught a bit of "attitude" from the waiter, Paul, that I was not ordering an adult beverage. My wife ordered the small burger with avocado, and I was excited to order the pork burger with pancetta, pork confit and barbecue pulled pork. Paul was quick to let me know that the burger was child sized, again with the disapproving attitude so I ordered the large one. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her burger. My large pork burger was so tall, I had to deconstruct it to eat it. The quality was very good, but the flavors were unremarkable. The burger came with a large order of fries which were good and crispy. I had a very hard time getting the cole slaw onto my fork, but it ended up being very nice. Paul came back with the bill and I asked for change. Again with the "attitude". I always tip well, but I still think it is my choice. The change came back minus the coins, and I left my usual 20% tip, but this is the first time I have ever gotten less than the whole amount back. Is this something new; you only get get the bills? We used to call that petty stealing when I was a waiter back in the day. Bottom line: lovely setting, good food, good sized portions, bad
attitude from Paul, the waiter.