“Few transportation kinks to work out, but overall excellent stay”

The Westin Portland Harborview
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Recently returned from a weekend trip to Portland. Stayed at this property as the host hotel for a friend's wedding and because of elite status in the Starwood system.

Had a few hiccups, but overall an excellent property that was incredibly convenient to anyplace we'd want to go in the area. First, the challenges. Most centered around transportation. We specifically didn't rent a car because we understood the Westin offered a hotel shuttle service, which they do. Fair warning though that it can be a bit spotty and is not on a regular loop. Upon arriving at the airport and calling the hotel to discern the shuttle situation, I was informed it would be about 20-30 minutes before they'd be able to send a someone to pick me up. I ultimately just grabbed a cab from the airport to the hotel. On the return to the airport on Sunday, my wife and I had two distinct experiences. I had not scheduled an early morning ride (I had a 6:15am flight) so anticipated I'd just grab a cab to airport, but the hotel driver didn't have any conflicting appointments, so we immediately jumped in his car for the quick 15 minute drive to airport. The flip side, my wife who was on a mid-morning flight and had reserved a ride at the front desk, went downstairs a few minutes before the agreed upon time only to see the car pulling away without her. The desk agent chased the car down and she proceeded to the airport. Again, just a few logistical kinks to work out.

The stay, staff and accommodations were great. My Starwood status was recognized and I was pleasantly surprised on a late May/early June weekend, was able to get a nice harbor-view room upgrade. Room spacious. Customary awesome bed. Great shower and amenities.

Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ginny P, Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our tripadvisor page. I am glad to see that besides the few shuttle issues, you enjoyed your stay with us. I sincerely apologize about the shuttle problems you encountered. We have shared your feedback with the valet/front office team and are working to correct the issues you and your wife experienced.

Thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff and accommodations! As an SPG guest, we appreciate your loyalty and for choosing the Westin Portland Harborview for your travels.

Ginny

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel is a complete renovation and was like brand new. The staff was over the top helpful and our room was a delight. The beds are truly comfortable and the room darkening shades made it easy to over sleep.
The one draw back is the parking. You pretty much have to valet and when they say call ahead 20 minutes before you need you vehicle they mean it. No fast getaways. All in all a wonderful time.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our tripadvisor page. I truly appreciate the feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your guest room and our Heavenly Bed. I do apologize about the issues you had in retrieving your vehicle in a timely manner. I will pass down your comments to address with our valet management team.

We hope to see you again!
Ginny

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I am from Portland originally and was very excited to go home for my 30th birthday and stay at the Westin on a Saturday night in January. Unfortunately this was probably the worst hotel stay of my life. The climate control was not working in the room, which made sleeping very difficult. I had an early start that Sunday and there was a problem with our outlets so the hairdryer and coffee maker wouldn't plug in. When I called downstairs they didn't even offer to send anyone up. So I had to go out into the freezing cold with wet hair.

Seems other people enjoyed their stay, so perhaps I was just unlucky.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shari B
BWennerstrom, Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. Please reach out to me directly to discuss your experience in more detail.

ryan.beaulieu@westinportlandharborview.com

Ryan Beaulieu
Front Office Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed for a long weekend for a business conference. Newly renovated and re-opened, this hotel is lovely! The staff are very welcoming and friendly. You must go up to the lounge on the 14th floor for the beautiful views. My hotel room was comfortable and I loved the waterfall shower head in the bathroom. Within walking distance of restaurants and local attractions, and k van transportation is available.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank gssuzy
BWennerstrom, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel is beautiful from the first step into the building to the bathrooms and looks and smells immaculately clean!

Service was good but I have to give special Kudos to the 15th Floor Bartenders. They were so busy and whether we sat at a table or the bar, service was quick. I wish we got names, was highly impressed...

The beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on in my entire life! I don't usually sleep well unless I am in my uncomfortable bed at home. Couldn't tell you the last time I have had a full nights sleep. Those beds are amazing!!! The room is beautiful and extremely clean. Not a speck of dust to be found. Another kudos to the housekeepers.

I understand for security purposes the whole key card entry for elevator use. I recommend if you have more than one person staying in the room, all of your names get noted on the reservation. I got split up from my party and had no key which meant I couldn't even use the elevator. Considering my name was not on the reservation, they couldn't give me a key to the room. I did respect them for doing that though, makes a person feel safe.

I am unsure if the restaurant is part of the whole or separately owned (if so, I will change my review rating), but that is the single thing that kept this review from an "excellent" rating. There were so many open tables but yet the wait to just even get a coffee was 20 minutes! Couldn't imagine what the wait time would have been had we ordered food! Wait staff was unapproachable and not the friendliest. Was a major disappointment considering everything else in the hotel was immaculate.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon. We have a great team at our rooftop lounge.

I was dissapointed to hear about your experience in our restaurant C2. I appreciate your feedback and will certainly follow up as that is not typically the experience our guests recieve.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed here for three nights over the memorial day weekend. The hotel is beautiful with a nice modern feel. Check in went very quick and easy. Our room was adequate but the lack of any space to unpack your suit case was rediculous! Whoever thought it was a good idea to put the iron in the closet where there is less then minimal space to begin with for hanging your clothes has got to be kidding! The drawer space was also a joke. We lived out of our suitcase basically for the four days we were there....not ideal to say the least. The location of the Hotel to the port and "shopping area" was good ( maybe a 10 minute walk). I was so looking forward to visiting the "top of the East" bar on the 15th floor but when we went up friday night about 10:00pm ish the music was so loud you could not have conversation. The atmosphere was more that of a night club than a relaxing spot to meet up with friends for conversaion and a drink. We ate breakfast in C2 which was very good but portions were small. We used the gym each morning and it had the basics of what you would expect. The valet parking is a tough situation. I'm sure it's feast or famine with them. One day we did have an issue with the car...we called down to have it brought around and an hour later when we went out it was not there. Then we stood there waiting for another 20 minutes before asking again for it and still nobody had gone to bring it around. However, things happen and mistakes are made. The manager of the valet/parking went out of his way to speak with us and apologize for the mixup. He even waived our parking for the day which we did not think was neccesary but was a very nice gesture. Customer service goes a long way with situations like that. Overall the staff at the hotel was very nice and very helpful. We LOVED Portland and had a wonderful stay. I hope we can return again soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Everything feels new and the service is great, but there was just certain things that annoyed me. For one, to get your room, you'll need to use your key three times. I understand the need in the elevator because non guests go up to the bar, but off the elevator, you need it again to go down the hall to the rooms. Three is one time more than I was willing to do. The internet wasn't free on the guest wifi but I got a slower but free connection from the bar's network. And the mini bar is empty until you tell them what you want, but they tack on a delivery fee and you own everything they put in. I have to think they'd make more money the normal way; I would have got one or two things, but this way I got nothing.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
BWennerstrom, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. For security reasons and the protection of our guests we have installed multiple checkpoints that require key access. Our SPG floors do require key access because of their exclusivity. We hope to see you again soon!