“Chinese food with a creative flair - Really Good!”

Empire Chinese Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 615 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We went for lunch on a cold windy day, and we got off to the right start when we were given a complimentary pot of tea while we perused the menu. Who knows how long free tea for lunch will last, but it was a great welcome on a cold day. The restaurant was a bit empty when we arrived, but by the time we left the dining area had filled with lunchtime diners, which we took as a very good sign for this relatively new restaurant. We ordered the Empire Eggroll, good but not great, the only small disappointment of our meal. Good flavor, but the pork, cabbage, and asparagus pieces are cut large enough they don't blend together, and they kept escaping from the egg roll. Nothing that some more judicious chopping won't fix. We had the Chinese roast pork appetizer, and we loved the sweet, crunchy coating on the thin pork slices. We ordered two specials of the day. The Ginger & Vegetable fried rice was delicious, with generous pieces of baby bok choi and asparagus and a wonderful ginger flavor. We asked the waitress whether we should order the Peking Duck steamed buns on the menu or the special Crispy Pork Belly steamed buns from the day's specials, and she said get the special because we can come back and order the standard menu items next time. The steamed buns were good, and the generous filling was even better: thick slabs of fatty pork belly cooked crispy on the outside with a sweet Chinese bbq sauce. Yum! We'll have to go back another day for the Peking Duck Buns. And we will go back!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Dim sum is one of my favorites so having this restaurant in Portland is a dream come true. I can say that after my table ordered every dim sum option on the menu, there was no way to pick a favorite. Every single dish was cooked to perfection and for the price conscious this is an incredible value for money. On top of perfect food, the decor makes the space so cozy but open all at the same time. I would recommend this to anyone and I will be back as many times as possible.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I had high hopes for this new Portland restaurant with its unique fare. I finally got to check it out for myself recently, and unfortunately, it was a huge disappointment. With so many great restaurants to choose from, I will never need to spend my money there again. The egg roll was dripping in grease. The dumplings were mushy and fell apart. The duck buns were filled with a slab of duck fat, and the sticky rice pocket hardly had any filling. Ewww. My dining companion had the same reaction. Such a disappointment. And although I was still hungry, I did not want to try anything else from the menu, considering the quality of the food we had already ordered. A nice space nonetheless, and servers were friendly.

2  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Five Cheers! Maybe there are twenty items on the Empires menu, maybe fewer. We had about eight of the plates of steamed and pied fried buns, some noodles, and on and on. How refreshing to find a Chinese restaurant that: 1. Doesn't feel that it must cater to all tastes. 2. Mixes the fresh (fish) ingredients and other flavors local to its American locale. 3. Has great drinks!
The atmosphere is simple, not chinoiserie, easy and comfortable. The Empire seems to transcend other spots in Portland that are pitched at a specific clientele and age group.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great noodles, awesome pork steamed buns, and pork dumplings. Served warm and fresh in bamboo steamers. Great decor, Industrial meets traditional Chinese restaurant (sounds weird but it works!). It's hard to find good Chinese food around here, this place has charm, a small but well executed menu, downtown location, and friendly staff. We'll eat here again!