“Pretty decent food and excellent service”
Review of B. Good

B. Good
Ranked #91 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
New York
“Pretty decent food and excellent service”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stopped in mid-afternoon and were warmly welcomed by the young lady at the counter. We were even acknowledged by the chef/grill person. The young lady was very patient explaining everything to us and even offering a taste of one of the sauces before ordering. I ordered chicken and my wife had a burger. We thought they were very good, certainly better than most places, but perhaps not the absolute best. As some other reviewers said, it was a little expensive. The regular fries were good and seemed freshly cut (as advertised), and the sweet potato fries were very tasty, some of the best we've had. I noticed that adding extras on the sandwiches cost even more money, so be aware of this fact when ordering. We would probably return again.

1 Thank SailorBoy55

New England
“A Good Concept & Tasty Food”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stumbled across B. Good the other afternoon while walking down Exchange Street. We were looking forward something "different and healthy" and this seemed perfect. This is located where the old "Walter's" used to be so there is open seating on the first and second floors. The concept is sound; to use locally sourced products for their dishes. There was quite a line of people waiting for their food when we arrived and it took us a few minutes to study their menu sign. Ordering is done at the counter and cash register and we ordered a quinoa, lime, & kale veggie bowl, a chicken burger called a "el guapo", and sweet potato fries. Then.....we waited. And, waited. There were 6 guys working in the open kitchen, slowly turning out food. Reeeeally slowly and inefficiently. Eventually, we got our food and went upstairs to find a seat as all the tables were full on the first floor. The food. The veggie bowl was good. It's a play on Chipoltle's burrito bowl and had all kinds of veggies in it. Also, it was pretty spicy having what looked like Sriracha sauce throughout the bowl. The chicken burger was pretty tasty, having lots of flavors. The sweet potato fries were soggy and uninspiring. We ordered water and we were able to refill at the self service station that was downstairs and upstairs, and still, it was close to $30.00 for what we had. While we liked and appreciate the concept of B. Good, they still have a lot to work out to make it a viable restaurant that is going to succeed in Portland. Their concept gets 5 stars, but their execution combined with pricing gets 2. We'll have to wait and see on this one.

4 Thank MaineTravel50
Saco, Maine
“Could "B" Better”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I love burgers and I was anxious to try "B Good" since I had heard good things about the chain and really like the concept of using fresh, local products. Unfortunately, the quality of the food was not what I had hoped for. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that the preparation was not what I had hoped for, the quality of the products themselves were fine. The burger itself was rather small and was dwarfed by the bun, all in all it seemed dry and boring. Perhaps it's just me, but I prefer a big, juicy, sloppy burger that is dripping with a gooey slice of melted cheese. The fries also left something to be desired...good quality potatoes, but oven baked...I can heat up Ore-Idas at home...if I'm going to a burger joint, it's not because I'm looking for healthy options. I also found the prices to be a little much...$26 for two burgers, two fries and two drinks. All things considered, I'll go around the corner to 5 Guys when I need my next burger fix.

1 Thank nucenturion
Portland, Maine
“Hipster Burger Joint in the Old Port”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My foodie friend and I went after the movies. We knew this place had opened in the Old Port not long ago, and were anxious to try it. They have two levels, which was perfect considering her difficulty with stairs. I never did go up to check-out their second floor digs, though my presumption is that it probably looked much like the downstairs. The place was too brightly lit for my taste, and I did not find the seating comfortable (hard wooden seat along the wall, and sturdy metal chairs). My friend had no problem with it. I didn't care for the décor, either. It's "urban hipster meets Old Port tourist." So you've got this space, which used to house a "business casual" restaurant, but on the walls are posters of farmers, where the B. Good products come from. They tout their goods as coming from locally-sourced farms and such. Our burger beef came from Pineland Farms in nearby New Gloucester and the animals are guaranteed "humanely raised." The staff were friendly, and as self-identified first-timers, the cashier was happy to explain to us how the ordering worked. Essentially, its "made to order cafeteria style." We didn't have to wait long for our food (the place was not overly busy) and they delivered it to our table.... though not at the same time .... and cut my burger in half upon request, without blinking an eye.

We each ordered a double beef burger with some extra fixings, and some fries. My friend also got a tonic, and we split a chocolate shake for dessert- which was tasty, but more of a lighter, German-chocolate vs. a darker one. My friend's fries arrived just barely warm, but she liked the taste. Mine were hotter, and I ordered them mixed (white, and sweet potatoes). We liked the burgers, which were tasty and of good quality. They were also fairly large (I had trouble getting my mouth around the whole bun)- though they were pretty greasy. And our meal was not cheap, at about $35- total (tip not included). A couple of cool dudes behind the grill, and the self-serve mayonnaise dispenser (as well as ketchup, mustard, water, and most importantly- napkins) were a nice added touch.

We will go back. Though I'll order a single burger instead- or opt to try their turkey or veggie burger- or another choice, as they also have salads and sides. And they will put your burger on a gluten-free bun, if you need it, for a little extra.

Visited February 2014
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“There are much better burger places in Portland!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've been watching the construction of this restaurant over the past few months so I've been excited to try the burgers. When I went for lunch the place was packed. When we got to the desk to order, the cashier was very short with us. When I asked if I could get cheese fries, he told me no and when I asked again he finally relented. Their system in general seemed odd. We didn't know where we were supposed to wait for our food. Some people had their orders brought to their tables and others had to come to pick their food up at the window. This was a problem if you decided to sit upstairs...where you wouldn't hear your order being called. The burgers themselves were cooked medium, which is a nice change of pace from a lot of burger places who make them well done. They had little taste though. I got mine with green chilies assuming they were cut up as a relish but instead they were the whole chilies on top of my burger. The veggie burger came with a side vegetable that was maybe broccolini? We didn't know it came with anything and there was no mention of what it was on their menu. Overall it was a bland burger and not worth the money. Elevation Burger and Five Guys are much better options! They do have free WiFi though...if you're looking.

• Visited October 2013