“Once Upon a Time”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Buxton, Maine
“Once Upon a Time”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Espo's (once known as Esposito's) once could boast the finest Italian cuisine in Portland, but not anymore. The chicken parm was good, but the pasta had almost no sauce on it. The Portofino had mussels that were not open after cooking (at least one-third). The bread was served cold and the salad contained rotten lettuce. All in all, if you want an outstanding Italian experience, don't go there or go with reduced expectations. Sincerely, The Common Gourmet.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Common-Gourmet

Greece
“OK, if a tad pricey family fare”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Walk in and there's Tony Bennett blasting over the speakers in the hallway. That's the first sign. On the way to our table I watch a wait person struggle to lift and present a plate, no a platter of spaghetti and meat balls to a customer. The meat balls are larger than cantaloupes. they're as large as donkey ..... Anyway. that's sign #2. Every table has Styrofoam containers at the ready to ferry home leftovers. Sign #3.
I order the linguine and Gorgonzola. And that's exactly and all that i get, two pounds of linguine swimming in some gorgonzola and the ice cold, institutional iceberg lettuce salad. (good house dressing). There are five of us, adults with great expectations. We all agree. The food is... well...food. Nothing special. Great for a family to eat leftovers for the next two days.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mark P
Scarborough, Maine, United States
“Terrible Experience, then dinner at the ice cream shop”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Lets start out with the fact the restaurant is okay looking from the outside and once you enter the building the place is filthy and the music was playing like we were at a Metallica rock concert. The Host sat us at the table and the table was filthy with crumbs and sauce. We spent a lot time waiting for the waitress, so after 20 minutes of waiting for this, she finally took our orders just for our drinks, after that it took 15 MORE minutes to take are food orders.
Once we got the food it looked delicious, but looks can be deceiving. My Dad and I both got the lasagna and it was served cold, the menu also stated that the lasagna was wade with 5 DIFFERENT cheeses but there was clearly only one. I took five bites and I was done. Overall the place was terrible, this place is not recommend, save your money and a trip to a terrible place. After we just thought we would be better off eating ice cream for the ice cream shop down the street.

• Visited October 2013
Saint John, Canada
“Very Good”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The place does not look like much from the outside but do not judge a book by its cover, is really true about this place. The staff is great and the price of food reasonable. The portions you get are enough for 2 or 3 meals. My wife had an eggplant dish with pasta and loved it, while I had stuffed chicken and it was excellent. We will eat here again.

• Visited August 2013
Sedona, Arizona, United States
“Must have hit the wrong night”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We come to Maine very year for the sumer and finally decided to try Espo's. The reviews are were high. The place was packed so we were feeling good! Well we must have picked a bad night or something. I had the Veal Parm which cane with Pasta and Pesto. When it first came to table I thought "WOW, This is HUGE!" but as I cut into it, I found alot of puffed up breading and very little veal. Very disappointing! The pasta had no flavor...no salt, no garlic that I could taste, just no real taste unless I added stuff to it. My husband had the meat Lasagna and only had tiny little bits of meat in side and a some what spongy consistency. My Autumn Cosmo was VERY good, but really am not so sure we would return to find out f we just hit a bad night.

• Visited September 2013