“Recommended to us by the Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Espo's Trattoria

Espo's Trattoria
Ranked #153 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Tewksbury, Massachusetts, United States
“Recommended to us by the Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We often ask locals and hotel staff of recommendations. The Hotel Desk associates at the Clarion Hotel recommended and it was a real good recommendation.
Inexpensive with more than enough to eat
Great selection and a full house
great conversation
great people

• Visited October 2012

Punta Gorda, Florida
“Close to perfection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The food is a 5, the portions are a 5, the service was a 3, which to me is average. No real negatives, a small, clean, warm, feel good trattoria with gigantic portions of food. Excellent in all aspects from the opl and bread to the desert. This place is worth going out of the way to enjoy that wonderful old time feeling you used to have when you went to a family resturaunt and it felt like family. Can't wait to go back and try something else.

Falmouth, Maine
“This local restaurant seriously misses the mark”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Espo's sure has taken a tumble to the bottom after having been known for years for its consistently good food and pleasant service. Our visit was terrible. Our food orders were not correct/missing items. I know the difference between Penne and Linguini -- I was surprised that the server or kitchen staff didn't. A huge 6" x 6" serving of Eggplant Parm was delivered -- COLD. Side dishes were missed, and I could go on. Without much effort from the staff, our visit could have been at least a three star. The way the restaurant is operated today, it deserves no better than an one star rating. The best part of the experience was leaving. If you are driving by and think you might want to stop -- do yourself a favor and pass on by. There are plenty other well deserving Italian restaurants in Portland.

Boston, Massachusetts
“What's changed?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I drive 90 minutes one way to get to Espo's. I am originally from Boston and have been very disappointed with what people call Italian food in Maine. But when I found Espo's, I was in heaven! My friends and their friends and so on make it a point to take a trip to Portland just for that! However, on August 14, I was there and ordered "my usual". The Caesar dressing was not the one it used to be, their eggplant parmesan used to be better than mine but not this time, the pizza I brought home for my husband was "the worse one he's had", "tasteless" (his words). Initially I thought my taste buds had changed but when he said that, I knew it wasn't just me. He has had pizza there many times and had thought it was wonderful. The focaccia bread was wonderful, as usual. The servers were friendly and accommodating. I'm saddened that I have to find another Italian restaurant to remind me of Boston.

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

With my daughter just moving to Portland, we went to Espos based on a recommendation of her new neighbor. It was wonderful. We didn't want to dine in a chain restaurant and prefer the hometown establishments. The food was outstanding and the portions were more than we could eat. We tried Stevie's meatball as an appetizer (the size of a large softball), it is smothered in an outstanding marinara sauce and covered with mozzarella cheese. All of our meal choices were excellent. It is a small dining area but personal space wasn't crowded which is appreciated. There is nothing worse than worrying about moving your chair back and hitting someone behind you. That wasn't the case at all. The staff were friendly and cheerful and it was apparent that they enjoy working there. Can't wait to visit again.

1 Thank MomfromDells