“Great Pub food and Beer!!”
Review of Gritty McDuff's

Gritty McDuff's
Ranked #48 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Gritty McDuff's, Maine's Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-five years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty's Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff's Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Ruben, buffalo chicken and sweet potato fries are great! We enjoyed our dinner at a table looking out onto Fore Street and with lots of winter snow in the early evening. Service was very good too. We placed our order at 5PM shift change and it was seamless. Nicely done!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We chose Gritty's for dinner, and I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. Since the bar was full, we sat ourselves in the room near the bathroom, which was a little too dark and quiet. Our server was awesome, very sweet and attentive. To our dismay, her shift ended halfway through our visit and we never even saw our other server. I had the Oatmeal Stout which was fantastic, and the fish and chips, which seemed like a child's portion. Maybe it's just me, but fish and chips is a pretty cheap meal, fries and the ends of fish...there's no excuse for giving tiny portions. We had to find and settle up with someone other than our waitress, and left without having a second beer even though I would've liked one. Basically, I would go back, but only for beer at the bar.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've been going to Gritty's (on Fore Street- you couldn't drag me into the Freeport location) since shortly after it opened in the late '80s, and although there are a lot of things to like about it (handy location near shops and waterfront, a wide range of tasty foods of varying degrees of caloric intake and across the veggie/carno spectrum, atmosphere provided by long, semi-communal tables and friendly/knowledgeable staff, and oh, beer) the thing that brings me back year after year is the cask bitter. If you need an example of a "session beer," this is it. Flavor but not overpowering, since it's cask, not too much carbonation, and reasonable % alcohol, so 2 or 8 won't knock you senseless. But leave one for me, OK?

If you are in a hurry, you might be frustrated by the turnaround time at peak hours, so visit off-peak or go somewhere else, but it's best not to be in a hurry.

And that mural with the winged elves? Bar staff from the early days...

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The beer is really the best thing here. The food is great, don't get me wrong. But don't come here for that, unless you really like beer. The Gritty's pub brews are terrific! We tried the seasonal one, and my husband ordered Black Fly Stout, which he says "spoils Guinness for him forever," it was that good! This place is definitely worth a visit, right in the middle of Portland shopping-central. A great place to wait for the shopping stragglers in your group, or to watch a game. Plenty of local flavor here.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We eat at Gritty's on a regular basis for lunch. I happen to be friends with the owner, but it is the fun pub atmosphere, superb variety of beers brewed on premises and reasonably priced menu that brings us back time and again. My problem is I love one of the menu items and almost always order the same thing. Their seasonal beers are exceptional.