“High expectations - not disappointed!”
Review of Central Provisions

Central Provisions
Ranked #15 of 616 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Having read about Central Provisions in this month's Bon Appetit we had high expectations. Arrived by boat in time for a late lunch. The dishes are incredibly well conceived with a limited number of well-sourced first-rate ingredients. Flavors come together beautifully in elegant new twists. We sat at the upstairs bar and took delight in watching the preparations underway. A mellow kitchen with talented young chefs. We enjoyed smoked carrots, tuna crudo, lamb burger, and an outstanding hash brown topped with a fried egg. This restaurant deserves it's accolades. We will return.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

A friend and I stopped in to Central Provisions for an early dinner on Tuesday night and although the place was packed we were lucky to get a seat at the bar after only a few minutes wait. This was a really the best seat in the house since the chefs are busily preparing all of the amazing dishes right before your eyes. It was truly like watching artists at work, every creation was perfect and beautiful and looked good enough to eat so we did.

The dishes are meant to be shared so share we did starting with the famous bread and butter. It was exquisitely delicate and the smooth silky sabayon like a soft pillow on your tongue, so worth every penny it costs! The smoked carrots however, not my favorite. Presentation was again beautiful but the whole combination of the cold, tough carrot and the heavy smoke did not mix well for me, although the goat cheese with pistachio vinaigrette they were served on was another exciting taste experience. I might have liked to have this served warm. Not at all discouraged as we moved on to the amazing taste of Lobster toast. What better way to describe it than what it is.......the best and most delicious grilled cheese sandwich you will EVER eat and it's full of the most delicate lobster. Oh My!!!! I'll need just a moment here........

I will not lie, I love beets and the beet salad that was served to me took those beautiful tasty vegetables to a whole new level, and please forgive me but the avocado fried egg purée, another moment my tongue will never forget!!!

Dessert, oh yes please!! We chose a sweet and a savory for our last course. The key lime tart was as good as we had hoped, delicate, tangy and the added lime-zested cream on top, so good. Our savory dessert was the most beautiful and delicious caramelized sheep's cheese with a generous drizzle of 15year old balsamic and grilled peaches the taste was so exquisite I truly considered licking the plate!!!

EXTRAORDINARY MEAL!!!!!!! I cannot wait to return, although I would be happy to have the same offerings since I loved them all I'm excited to try another group of items on my next visit and have every confidence that I will not be disappointed!! Bravo Central Provisions you are world-class!!!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We enjoyed our 3rd visit to Central Provisions on a Sunday evening before a concert. We arrived at about 5:30 and got the last 2 seats at the bar overlooking the kitchen. We sampled many different dishes (peeky toe crab with mango, foie gras, corn fritters, aged sirloin, peking duck and mushrooms). Everything except the mushrooms was outstanding - flavors were interesting and the serving sizes were big enough to share. The mushrooms were too salty so we sent them back and were not charged for them. The cocktails are also delicious. It's a lot of fun to create your own tasting menu and to sample so many of the inventive dishes that Chef Gould and his team prepare!

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Visiting Portland on my last day in Maine, needing to eat lunch and having had lobster at every meal up until this point, I peeked at the menu with it's very interesting foodie slant then saw kids sitting in the window seats,and decided I'd take a chance with my three year old granddaughter. The restaurant, on the upper floor, is small and intimate with a long bar looking into the open kitchen. That proved entertaining for both of us. A very friendly server assisted in suggestions for children (sourdough pancakes and spicy fried potatoes) and continued to ensure we were taken care of throughout the experience.

It was fun to see all dishes being prepared and served. Decisions what to try were very difficult! I started with Yellowfin Tuna Crudo and Spicy Fried Potatoes. The tuna was beautifully prepared (and I am not a sushi fan), every bit of the 5 small bite-size pieces were dreamy and the 'garnish' was tasty. The serving of potatoes was larger than one would expect of a tapa serving and we both enjoyed the crunchiness. The breading was not too spicy for either of us.

Lucy's pancakes were finally served and were worth the wait. Best 3 large pancakes with real maple syrup I have ever had. She loved them as well! I saw the Spicy Beef salad being served and decided to try that as well, not realizing the meat was raw. That salad was the most flavorful delight I have ever had. The sriracha sauce permeated the flavor of the dish, not to be overdone. Cilantro and peanut flavors still stood out and the meat under the onions and other crunchy vegetables was tender and needed very little knife cutting. I must figure out how to replicate this dish.

I have since read about the restaurant I spent $45 enjoying and included the web link to the press coverage of this much anticipated restaurant, open since February. I feel blessed for stumbling upon it and taking a chance with a 3 year old, who enjoyed the experience just as much as I did. The attention to detail is amazing - loved the barn door to the bathroom as well as the sink! The handcrafted stools at the bar and the openness to the kitchen allows people to be a part of the process without detracting from personal conversation . If I lived anywhere near Portland, this would be my go-to place for a gastronomic experience sans touristy entrapments.

Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Every bite a delight! Clearly a lot of thought has gone into every ingredient in each dish. Tapas style, relax, enjoy, have a great time with excellent food, great service an ambience ( low/no pretense). Wow!

1  Thank Vtfltlndr