“Pub Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Pub Food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you want to drink beer and something to munch on, it's a good place. If you want to go out for a nice dinner, better off going somewhere else. Menu has many types of nachos, burgers, fajitas, salads, wings, and cheese steaks. It doesn't have seafood or steak dinners.. Saw a tuna and a fish & chips choice, that's it! No shrimp, scallop, lobster, crab, salmon, etc.
We started off with fried vegetables which we enjoyed, teriyaki mushrooms which were okay. and beer (many choices). Dinners we had were the Woodford cheese steak- good but soggy, grilled cheese-okay, and Portland's Best Chili- not very good. The first two came with fries (fried slices of potato) dry and not very tasty. The chili must have been cooked a long time as it was mushy but spicy and didn't have any noticeable chunks of beef. The nacho chips it came with were good.
The service wasn't very good as two of our dinners were brought to us but the third wasn't. We had to flag down our server and ask for it. She went to the kitchen to find it and came back with it a few minutes later.
I recommend you make sure everyone in your party is okay with this type of menu before you go so they won't be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank NEDR2013

Maine, USA
“Great beer selection”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Great Lost Bear has a great beer selection and an eclectic (cluttered?) ambiance. If you go on a weekend evening, prepare to wait for a table because this place is very popular. Consequently, it can be noisy. Our son enjoyed his Thai BBQ sandwich, but his little daughter's chicken tenders were not. Tender. The breading was thick and crusty and hard to eat. So was the breading on my haddock (Fish and Chips). Not good! The Mac and Cheese that my wife shared with our granddaughter was so delicious that they ordered a second round. If this isn't a mixed review, I don't know what is. I will not condemn or commend the Great Lost Bear. You may love it or hate it or come away as confused as I was.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Maine
“Will not be back anytime soon....”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

One of the couples we were with recommended this place and we thought it would be fun to try something new. This place is near Portland, which has many many fine places to eat! It was a Saturday night and we got seated right away, which was nice, waiter took our drink orders and appetizer orders, which came out quickly and everything was nice and hot. It was down hill from there, after about 35 minutes of waiting for our main dishes, and had not seen our waiter for as least 20 minutes, my husband got up and ask the hostess to please check on our food, it had been a long time. Very soon after, he came out with our dinners, and the food was okay, not great. Well you could tell by his demeanor that he was mad about us checking on our dinner! He never said he was sorry that the food had taken so long. He was very, very cold to us and continued to not check on us and then made a comment to another waitress that he was mad and told her that he never apologized to us. He then made us wait for another 15 minutes for our check, and it was clear that we had been done for a long time. He really did this out of spite. Will never go back, he lost us as customers, the owner may think twice about keeping him on, this was childish, and made for an uncomfortable evening, who needs drama when trying to go out to dinner and enjoying yourself. I did get his name, and did not enjoy my evening

Newport, Rhode Island
“I had high hopes, but the food was only average.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Upon walking into the restaurant, I immediately liked the look & feel of the place. We were seated quickly & had a friendly & attentive waiter. Unfortunately, that's about where the good things end. I ordered french onion soup with salad & ther raspberry cocktail. I would not recommend either one. Someone else ordered a chili meat burrito & burger, neither of which looked impressive or seemed to make an impression other than: its okay. The drink was actually kind of horrible & I think that stands out more in my mind than anything else. As much as id like to give this place another try, with all of the other great restaurants I've yet to try in Portland, I don't think id go back.

Portland, Maine
“Great beer selection; good pub food; not a great location”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a sort of neighborhood place that is not in the heart of Portland, but the beer selection is great and the quality of pub food is very good.

Visited December 2012