“Great service”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Congress St. and Cumberland Ave.
Transit: The Portland metro bus system has a stop directly across the street from us.
Portland, Maine
“Great service”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We can here for brunch and were pleasantly surprised when we walked in. It was adorable on the inside and everyone that greeted us was so sweet. Ended up getting the salmon Benedict and the veggie hash. Both were delicious, salmon came out cold (wasnt expecting that) tasted great but made the dish get cold quicker. Great place and we will be back

• Visited October 2013

Birmingham, Alabama
“Charming Cafe, Good Service, Okay Food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Bibo's is a charming cafe, with a quirky Bohemian vibe. I think the name, more than anything, really peaked my interest about the cafe.

We were served bread in a clay flower pot. It was good, but would be sooooo much better if it had been warm. For an appetizer we tried the lobster & crab cakes ($10.95). They were barely warm, and the consistency was different from what I have experienced previously. They were good, but no where near the best I've ever had.

For my entree, I had the southern fried chicken served with whipped potatoes & chipotle corn on the cob ($17.95). I was born & raised in Alabama, so I knew this was a bad idea, but I just couldn't resist a Yankee's interpretation of southern fried chicken. Needless to say, it was disappointing. Southern fried chicken is all about the batter, and this was not even close. The consistency, texture & flavor were all wrong. Next, I didn't specify all white meat, and I was served a thigh & a leg. It would have been nice to have been asked, but in lieu of that, a combination of white & dark meat would have been preferred. Unfortunately, the whipped potatoes were not much better. I could have repaired the cracks in the plaster of my 1929 home with these potatoes. The corn was very good & did not need seasoning, particularly chipolte. In addition, I continued to taste my dinner for several hours afterwards. One of my pet peeves.

My sweetheart had planned on ordering the grilled salmon ($18.95), until he found out it was farm raised. Anyone who eats salmon on a regular basis, understands the difference & risks of eating farm raised salmon vs. wild caught. Instead, my sweetheart opted for the haddock ($17.95) which was served on cauliflower mash, and smothered with a mixture of corn, tomatoes & spinach. The haddock & veggies were good, but he did not care for the cauliflower mash, but cauliflower is not one of his favorites.

Service was very good, but I'm pretty sure one of the owners was serving us. I noticed the table next to us was able to sample three different wines, before a making selection. The cafe is small, with limited seating, so reservations are recommended.

• Visited September 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect Lunch in Portland”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We popped into the restaurant for lunch (4 adults and 3 kids) after a visit to the children's museum. The food was excellent. I had the pulled pork and it was very good, and everyone else (including my son who tends to not eat all of his lunch - ate it) agreed the food was really good.

• Visited August 2013
Norfolk, Massachusetts
“Eclectic, yummy, quaint”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

It was night two of girls weekend (mom and three daughters) and Bibo's was a great choice! A round of appetizers included polenta fries with cheese sauce and sautéed portobello mushrooms, pork belly fresh spring rolls, and satanic eggs filled avocado and bacon. All were yummy and easily split amongst us. The house salads with strawberries and goat cheese were excellent but should have been split by at least two of us. Two of us had the salmon, one the haddock and one the braised pork. All the meals were excellently prepared and the food was savory. The portions were very generous and much was brought home in take away containers. The coconut, chocolate egg roll desert were very tasty as a delightful desert! Wine was nicely priced and our waitress was attentive and delightful.

• Visited June 2013
Falmouth, Maine
“Terrific vegetarian meal at the Madd Apple”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Four of us dined there last night -- two vegan/vegetarians and two not. For a started we four enjoyed the House Salad described as "Mixed greens tossed with local apples, craisins and goat cheese with champagne vinaigrette." It was delicious with a nice "bite" to the vinaigrette without it being overpowering, and all four of us enjoyed this very fresh salad.

The featured vegetarian dish was Portabella Mushrooms Paprikash described as "Grilled portabella mushroom cap with smoked paprika cream over risotto with seared spinach." So two of us ordered this dish. So many times the vegetarian dish at a restaurant can be an insipid afterthought, but not this dish. It was excellent -- full of flavor and color. My picture does not really do it credit as the green of the spinach was vibrant, a feature not picked up by my iPhone.

Our guests enjoyed the Pepper Honey Cedar Plank Roasted Salmon which was attractively served with its zucchini noodles arranged on top of the salmon.

We had plenty of time and so we enjoyed dessert and coffee. Our guests shared the Chocolate Pots de Creme while we shared a fresh blueberry pie with a side of fruit ice cream. We all were delighted with our desserts as a great way to end the meal.

• Visited March 2013