“Wrong sauce; no foyer to keep interior warm”
Review of Outliers Eatery

Outliers Eatery
Ranked #139 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Outliers is aptly named. It's unlikely you would accidentally come upon it--no other restaurants/stores in the area. Previous reviewers had praised the duck, so I ordered the duck leg (very tender) with carrots and oversized ravioli (both good). The sauce ruined the entire dish--it tasted sour. I asked the server if it had vinegar in it, she said no. It would have been suitable for sauerbraten. My stomach felt quasy afterward. I also had the sweet potato soup (bisque) with duck confit--crispy shreds of duck meat cooked in duck fat. It had a little kick to it--server said it was the cayenne pepper. Every time the door opened, a rush of cold air swept thru the room. No iced tea. A big disappointment costing $37 plus tip. Decor was nice; poor acoustics made it very noisy. Attentive service; street parking.

There are newer reviews for Outliers Eatery

Reviewed January 17, 2014

went on a week night in jan, place was totally empty at 7 pm, food was overpriced and not great-way too much pasta, hardly half a lobster, lukewarm chicken-and run of the mill wine list. classic example of hipster portland restaurant running out of steam in a year

1  Thank Taylor P
Reviewed January 12, 2014

What a surprise this outing turned out to be. Located on the edge of downtown Portland near the bridge in the same building that use to house the restaurant with the airplane embedded in the roof. The airplane is now gone and in its place is a comfortable and relaxing, somewhat upscale with clean simple furnishings, restaurant. We were seated quickly and immediately got the sense that we would be well taken care of by our server. Drinks were promptly brought and we were give sufficient time to enjoy them before our server returned to take our orders. Two of our party had the Steelhead Trout which both raved about. I had the sirloin steak which was done to perfection. Our server maintained attention to our table and was there when called. The prices are in line with the quality of the food and service. All-in-all Outliers is on its way to becoming one of Portland's A-List restaurant's. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Love this place. We had dinner with another couple. Reservations at 8 but because of crowd we were not seated until 8:30. Gracious servers and host were very apologetic. Our dinner made up for it! Try the squash soup with the duck confit, incredible. Salmon was simply prepared but burst with flavor. Pasta dishes well prepared as were the duck. One complaint, at the time they did not serve tea! I hope that has changed. The decor is so clean and fresh, with a very nice glow. Can't wait to try brunch. Highly recommend. Decent wine list.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Funny that Tripadvisor should ask me if this was one of the best meals I've ever had at a restaurant, because the answer is yes. Not only was the food excellent, the atmosphere was fantastic. Minimalist, beautiful, clean lines. I simply couldn't find a single thing wrong with the food, the service, or the physical space itself. I only wish that I could afford to eat here more often. It was an expensive night out for us, but it was worth every penny.

I loved the duck and the accompanying risotto even more. My spouse said his steak was not the best he had ever had, but it was definitely in the top five.

Without a doubt, this was the best meal we'd had in Portland in a long while.