“Superb food, but pricey”
Review of Five Fifty Five

Five Fifty Five
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Fifty Five is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak Street
Description: Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.
northern NJ
“Superb food, but pricey”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had an excellent dining experience at 555. The lobster mac & cheese and the scallops were both the best of the genre I have tasted anywhere.
Why not 5 stars- the A La carte menu was inadequate- one member of my party is allergic to shellfish and was only offered one fish that was not memorable. We all had to do the prix fixe and that was pricey.
But overall, worth it.

Visited August 2013

Washington, DC
“The Kitchen Has It Right”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The food is great, and at $100 per person, I would not expect less. The kitchen definitely has its groove and knows its talents: taking simple ingredients and transforming and elevating them to a perfect pitch.

The saloon/pub motif doesn't correspond with the creative cuisine (or the price tag of the meal!). Upholstered furniture, padded tables, covered walls, and *designed mood lighting* would improve the space and the dining experience. (I read somewhere that this was the most romantic restaurant in Portland -- I beg to differ!)

I hope they just keep getting better and don't settle for status quo.

Toronto, Canada
“Consistent to better”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went 2 yrs ago and had a pleasant meal.
Repated this year and the experience was overall improved.
Food was better, service as well, and would certainly recommend.
Sunday has limited choices, but this was very good.

Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Totally not what we expected!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Went for our 1st time &1st visit to portland. Should have listened closer to the locals, which none of them recommended. Very pricy for what you get & when server brought our wine which my husband & I bought by the glass, since I was having lobster Mac & he had steak. She gave us each a Taste, mine had too much of a bite so I decided to have a Chardonnay which was nice . Server failed to mention when she brought the chardonnay that it was TWICE as high as my 1st choice!! i had 2 glasses!! Cost more then my entire meal!! i should have asked for the wine list, but thought she would have brought me a comparable one in price!!
Ordered our meal from pg.2 pri fix, server informed me that lobster mac only came w/2 oz. lobster & I could pay extra for more! Right then I should have changed my order!! Though it was tasty for how much I received , I wouldn't have bothered. IT WASN'T THAT GOOD. Don't know why everyone raves over it, unless they had too much to drink or they were starving. I had more lobster in my lunch salad for a fraction of the cost. My husband's steak was 2oz portion. If was tasty. But hardly enough to enjoy . BTW their medium is rare. Overall the meal was tasty but hardly worth 270$!!

westchester, new york
“Outstanding dinner choice in Portland”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here a few weeks ago. We were on our way to Mid-Maine and wanted to stop for dinner, we just happened upon 555. It was an outstanding meal start to finish. Our waiter was informative, made great suggestions and was never intrusive. Each course was delicious and prepared beautifully. My swordfish was perfectly prepared, my husband's shrimp excellent. An overall great experience. Would definitely recommend.