“Not as good as they say”
Review of Five Fifty Five

Five Fifty Five
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Fifty Five is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 620 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak Street
Description: Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.
ny
“Not as good as they say”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This restaurant receives high reviews but was very average. The atmosphere is average and very tight. Dinning upstairs area inconvenient and staff kept hitting back of chairs. Drinking bottled sparkling water but waiter twice poured tap water into our glasses. Mac and Cheese with lobster well couldn't find lobster, Foie gras terrine served with stale donut? Pepper crusted scallops would have been good if you could taste scallop. Layer of Pepper crust to thick. Overall, try some of the other restaurants in area and you will be surprised how good they really are..

Visited March 2013
2 Thank boater2
seamusfinn, Owner at Five Fifty Five, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff at five fifty-five, I would like to apologize for your recent experience. Our goal is that every customer leaves thrilled with their food and service, and obviously that was not the case in this instance. We find a majority of people love the upstairs, therefore we do consider it some of our best seating, I am truly sorry if it felt uncomfortable for you. As you stated, this seems like a rare negative experience and we would love the chance to make it up to you since it seems we did not when you dined with us. Please contact me at your convenience to discuss this further,
michelle corry
proprietor

Maine
“Not to be missed in Portland, ME!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This really is one of the best restaurants in Portland. Food is locally sourced, exquisitely prepared and creative in their menu.
However, for this review I want to speak to a great light, casual meal to be had in the bar.If you get there early enough or are lucky, you can sit in the bar and order off their bar or regular menu without a reservation, and watch the happenings on Congress Street.
We shared a winter salad with fennel, blood oranges and a touch of brown sugar and fresh greens. My husband had reportedly his 'best burger' ever served on a homemade bun with aioli, and I had mussels in a light, fully flavored tomato sauce served with grilled bread. It was all so delicious, we decided we didn't want to ruin our palate with dessert (unheard of for us!) Regardless, the check came with 2 small cream puffs drizzled with fresh chocolate, complements of the pastry chef!
Always a great choice for a special meal, this was one of the best after theater suppers ever!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank MaineDebbie
Fayetteville, Georgia
“555....almost 5 stars!!!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were in Boston celebrating his birthday and discovered that it was restaurant week in Portland so we decided to make the leisurely drive over to see what we could find, and boy do we feel like winners!!!! :)
First, 555 is dimly lit and sets the mood for romance the instance you walk through the door. We sat at a great corner table in the upper dining room and had a fun view of the kitchen, which was a pleasant side treat.
Now the food....I ordered the 5-course tasting menu, while my date for the evening ordered a la carte...and while I enjoyed everything I ate (rutabaga soup, mussels, truffled lobster mac & cheese, manchengo cheese with candied nuts and for dessert a dark chocolate cremeux), the star dish of the night was his guinea hen!!!! The skin was so divinely crispy and it was served with a delectable vegetable couscous....HEAVEN!!!!
The service was also impeccable as the waitstaff works as a team to ensure your water glass is never empty and your silverware is promptly replaced with each course. The only thing that would have made this dining experience any better would have been had the restaurant had the foresight to let those of us there for a 5pm dinner reservation (the first of the evening) in out of the frigid air while we waited for our tables. Luckily, once the doors opened the evening improved, so while I won't hold it against them, any future visits will be for 5:30pm or later, if I visit when the weather is less than pleasant!

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Rotten service”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been to 555 three times, and I won't return. I had a steak which they couldn't get right after two tries. They refused to do anything else about it. The next time, two of us were seated next to a large party. The server all but ignored us. The last time, we went there for brunch. We were seated upstairs. It was crowded, our food was cold and we were mostly ignored until we got up to leave. We explained our predicament. They apologized for the cold food, but did not offer to remake it! I don't understand all the good reviews, but I am not compelled to revisit.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank foodiemon
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Restaurant Week”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Traveling in Maine with two teens and decided to try out a dinner during Maine's Restaurant Week. I knew dinner was going to set me back a few dollars, but I had no idea it was going to be *that* much. Ouch. Most of the RW menus were $33pp, but this one was $42pp (+ my drink and tax/tip)! However, we decided to stay and enjoy a leisurely well-made dinner. My youngest teen is studying Culinary Arts at school and wants to become a chef, so walking into this restaurant was perfect. Besides introducing him to new flavors and expanding his palate, watching the chefs in the kitchen was fun. The kitchen is tiny, but they have a great system of calling out orders and getting them to patrons on time. My son enjoyed watching the chefs in the kitchen. Dinner was amazing! Expensive, but amazing. First of all, the place is dimly lit and very romantic. We felt a bit out of place because we were a family and a table of three. We had to sit in the corner and did not get to sit near the windows where we could watch the hustle and bustle on the Portland streets. We got to observe the kitchen from where we were and could hear them calling orders. We all ordered off the RW menu. Apps included citrus salad, rutabaga soup, and mussels. Mussels won hands down! I wish I had ordred that. My citrus salad was very acidic, almost too acidic and not enough dark leafy greens on the plate. Entrees included black truffle mac-n-cheese with lobster, steak, and blackened scallops. My mac-n-cheese was flavorful and simply divine. There was some kind of lame chip on the side. Why? The steak dish was accompanied by tater tots. They were the worst tots ever. The scallops were cleverly seasoned and cooked to perfection. This dish was the best hands-down. There were three options for dessert, however, one was an alcoholic beverage, so that limited my teen's choice and as I was driving and already had a drink while we were waiting for our table, I declined. I find this poor planning on their part. If I want a drink for dessert, I could just order something from the bar. Why put it on the menu??? So we opted for the dark chocolate cremaux and the cheese plate. Cheese plate won that round. We enjoyed our dinners, but small little tweaks to the menu would lead me to give this an EXCELLENT rating. As it is, I simply cannot. FYI: I loved the bathroom!!

• Visited March 2013