“Hip food and atmosphere”
Review of Five Fifty Five

Five Fifty Five
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Fifty Five is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak Street
Description: Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I arranged a family reunion here at the suggestion of my nephew, and we were all smitten with the food and decor. The monkfish and scallop dishes that I shared or tasted were perfectly prepared and delicious, as was the heirloom tomato salad. Portions seemed generous to me (I had to take home half of my entree). Service was lovely, and I was especially grateful that our server let me taste an unusual wine that I thought I would like but didn't - I loved the bubbly cocktail and the French wine that I ended up drinking! We were all charmed by the copper sheets that the menus were clipped to (copper seems to be a Portland thing.) Prices were high but not out of line for what we got.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

When Five Fifty Five was recommended to us it came with the advice that we try things that we had not eaten before. I was skeptical that the menu was that varied. Now, I am a believer. I deliberately ordered such things (ie early harvest apple salad) and I was rewarded for doing so. Everything that my wife and I ordered was excellent--salad, seafood, and cheese. We passed on desert because of the variety of cheeses. This was also a good call and one that I recommend. Beyond the food, the service was excellent. The waitstaff is really familiar with the product and they guide you quite well. Finally, ASK FOR AN UPSTAIRS TABLE. It gives you a quieter meal and a ring side seat to watch the goings on in the kitchen. The meal was well worth the price paid.

1  Thank johnawc
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Had a wonderul meal at 555 on a recent trip to Portland. Besides the great food the hostess and waitress were friendly and knowledgable and that is something I look for in all restaurants. We started with the cheese plate with homemade fig bars - a must try. For appetizers we had the tomato salad and the blueberry salad. Both of which were very good. For the main course we split the lobster mac and cheese. It was incredible. For the dessert we had the coffee soufle and two more fig bars - we couldn't resist. It was a perfect meal.

1  Thank LauraMikeNY
Reviewed September 4, 2012

555 was recommended by our concierge at the W Boston - and it was pretty excellent. Restaurant was lovely with great views of the open kitchen from the tables above. Mains were good, the dessert (chocolate souffle) was fantastic.

1  Thank Jelliclecat96
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I drove to Portland from Rhode Island to check out a couple restaurants we had heard some great things about. We had dinner at 555 and tried the tasting menu since it was our first time there and we wanted to get a good indicator on what they were all about.

Like many places in Portland, 555 prefers using local ingredients when possible. The heirloom tomato soup was fantastic. As was the Lobster Mac and Cheese. Everything was delicious, the service was excellent, and the ambience was great. It was a great first impression on the Portland food scene. I would honestly drive the 3 hours back to Portland just to have dinner here again (with a stop along the Maine coast, of course).

1  Thank bdwiggity