“Overpriced, bad service and mediocre food.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bruno's

Bruno's
Ranked #117 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bruno's is a casual family run restaurant serving everything from steak sandwiches to homemade pastas. Customers can enjoy lunch or dinner in our dining room with an open kitchen, or you can also choose from our full menu in our tavern side complete with 10 TV's and varied seating. Outside seating is available on our deck or newly built patio. We also have a new banquet room that can accomidate anything from weddings to business meetings; outside catering is available too. Bruno's has been serving the people of greater Portland for over 30 years. We attribute most of our success to our strong flow of regular customers who return week after week to get the same excellent service and delicious food as their last visit.
North Yarmouth
“Overpriced, bad service and mediocre food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I'd been to Bruno's several times for drinks with friends but never to eat a meal. My sister, my mother and I met here to try out the menu. The best thing I can say is that our waitress (when we saw her) was friendly. Maybe staff had called in sick but my sister ordered a drink that took almost 30 minutes to arrive! When our food arrived, the haddock was so overlooked that parts of it were inedible. My sister's baked stuffed shrimp were cold. Our waitress offered to throw the already cooked shrimp back in the oven; my sister requested a new order since the shrimp would dry out if cooked anymore. Instead, she was served the same shrimp, heated up but chewy to the point of being inedible, all dried out from being cooked twice. Portland is a foodie city--there are better places to spend your money!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mainah56

Portland, Maine
“I love it, but my wallet doesn't!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I am a big fan of Bruno's, have been since it opened. My mom lives in the neighborhood, so this is her go-to spot when she calls and says 'wanna meet for dinner?' The atmosphere is nice, there's ample parking, the service is usually superb, and it's conveniently located. I also love that I've never had a bad meal here.

For me personally, Bruno's is pricy. I'm a creature of habit, and once I find a dish I love I tend to stick with it. At Bruno's, that dish is Ravioli Verde - a dish that checks in at $16.95 for six pasta pillows with sauce. Lately I've been ordering the more budget-friendly Asparagus Ravioli off the appetizer menu ($8.95 for four - figure that out). It's just as good as the Verde, at half the price. My other usual food item order is the Garden Salad, $4.75 for lettuce, a cherry tomato or two and a couple of sliced cucumbers. No budget-friendly alternative to that one! I think this portion-size-to-price complaint probably doesn't extend to other Bruno's menu items, as I've seen sky-high sandwiches and bowls with a pound of spaghetti in them coming out of the kitchen. Lucky me, I choose the skimpy meal as my favorite!

I don't go often anymore, but when I do I always have a good experience.

• Visited June 2013
Portland, Maine
“Great Place to watch the game”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Food was great... Beer list was pretty good (better then regular).
Crowded, every game was showing. I felt comfortable bringing the kids, and they also loved their food as well. Portions are big, I ended up taking half my calzone home because it was so big.

Crowd was nice, older, but seem like they have been coming here for years. Felt welcomed and will definitely be going back.

• Visited September 2013
maine
“Friendly Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

There were 4 in our party to celebrate. We arrived early, but were immediately seated, promptly served and were never rushed the entire visit. Food was good; lively atmoshpere and you can wacth the meal being cooked as the kitchen is open in front of you.

An extensive menu that has great appertizers and something for eveyone. Good wine and beer selection as well. We all tried something different and is was all very well done. Wait staff are super.

• Visited August 2013
Gorham, Maine
“Uneven foods but good time, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband & I arrived at 5:30 P.M. on a Friday night and the parking lot was nearly full. We were seated immediately, however, and our waitress came by with olive oil & 2 kinds of sliced bread for our table. We had planned to order garlic bread as an appetizer but decided to get something else because of the nice breads we had been given. We chose the lobster ravioli appetizer and were very glad we did. The ravioli,we were told, is made on-site and the lobster filling w/sherry cream sauce was simply delicious!
When we ordered our salads,which came w/our meals, I asked for dressing on the side. When my salad arrived, the dressing was on the salad. Our waitress said she forgot to write my request down. I accepted the salad as given.
My entree was the pork ossobucco, served w/medley of vegetabs and garlic mashed potatoes. The presentation was amazing and the meat itself tender and fabulous, w/pearl onions that melted in my mouth & assorted other veggies in a glorious sauce. My husband ordered veal marsala with linguine instead of rigatoni but,when it arrived, he had rigatoni on the plate. Again, the waitress had failed to write down what he wanted. He,too, accepted what was delivered to the table. The veal was not breaded nor did he get medallions but large pieces that suffered from too little sauce. The rigatoni,which I also tasted, was too chewy whereas the linguine would have taken the sauce better. M husband ate some of my garlic mashed potatoes and also found them a little soupy.
For dessert, we shared a crispy cannoli which had divinely rich cream inside. It was plenty to share. All in all, for one great appetizer, 2 entrees, a cannoli, and no wine plus a 20% tip,we paid $ 71. We had great atmosphere, a rather attentive waitress who could pay more attention to her ordering style, and a meal that had its ups & downs. We would return to try other dishes.

• Visited July 2013