“Old Standby”
Review of Brealu Cafe - CLOSED

Brealu Cafe
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've been coming to the Brea Lu ever since moving to Portland, 20 years ago. It is usually reliably decent food for good prices- though not always. Today's visit with two friends was a good one, though my last one was not. We were seated right away on a Sunday. Our waitress was friendly and proficient. We all ordered breakfast (though lunch is an option). Our food came good and hot and quickly- and plenty of it. this place is a Portland tradition. It has two rooms. It is popular among the college student crowd, as it is located near the university. There are no frills here, but that's what one expects from a greasy spoon type of place. I will come back.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went to Brealu twice. Breakfast there is so filling we didn't need to eat lunch.

Great 'scratch-made' hash made with brisket, and the seasoned potatoes were crispy. Eggs were fluffy. Service was great; friendly staff and owner. Excellent breads from local bakery.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This place will stick out in my mind for a long time. It feels like a little thrift store (but classy - don't get me wrong) as the walls are covered with shelving, and then really ancient books and items. Totally interesting to look at. The food was well priced, and LARGE servings to boot. The waitress was friendly and casual, which we enjoyed. The food itself was fresh, delicious, and exceptionally well made - whether you had benedict, an omelet, or pancakes (the size of your head.) If I lived in Portland, ME, I'd be a regular here.

The only thing I didn't like (and this would not keep me from going there) was that they had a $2.50 "sharing" charge -- that is, if you intended to share your meal, you had to add cash on. I can't quite see that as being fair - the amount of food should remain the same, and therefore the cost of the output product itself!

2  Thank mulldacity
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Visited here with a friend - we had a great time! The waitress who helped us was super nice and friendly, and the food was delicious!

1  Thank CrownofStorms
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a veggie omelet and some pancakes.
Omelet was fine, lots of veggies, very good home fries.
The pancakes were the biggest I have ever seen. A foot across maybe? Tasty, one with blueberries the other chocolate chips. Coffee (organic french roast) was very good. Service super friendly.