“Perfect!”

The Works Bakery Cafe'
Ranked #15 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My Aunt and I were Christmas Shopping and this place was recommended. We were looking for soup and sandwiches and this place was perfect. Sandwiches are made fresh and the offerings are unique. Some of the table areas had big sofa chairs. I had a roasted artichoke panini and clam chowder. Very good. The Chowder was thick and rich. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. I would go back.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Nice staff, clean grounds, process of ordering is self explanatory. Tuna melt Panini was very good. Not greasy and the sour dough bread was great! The garden humus wrap was good as well.

Jennifer F, Guest Relations Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe', responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

StephV44: Thank you for taking the time to post a review! I am glad that you had a good experience with us, and I have passed your comments along to our Manager, Amy! Please stop back in anytime! ~Jennifer
(P.S.- I notice you have a service-member in your picture: from one veteran to another, please send along my thanks for their service!)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My family stopped at the Works about 3pm for a hot drink after visiting the art musem. There is
a Dunkin Doughnuts across the street, but we try local places when we can. This was a mistake.
The Works had no fresh coffee, but tried to sell us the stale, burnt coffee that had been sitting
there all day. We asked for our money back, and the manager did not even apologize.
we just left. Our son did like the berry smoothie.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I love this place! They're in such a convenient location, I often stop by when I'm shopping downtown or meeting clients. They have delicious sandwiches, a good drink selection, delicious desserts, and the people watching out the front window is great. And very affordable!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Works Bakery Cafe (does Tripadvisor have an older name on file?) is a Portland institution. My husband went there already for breakfast, when he still had his furniture store in Portland, and we visit it at least once, every time we stay in Portland. Located next to the Nickelodeon Cinemas, it has a cheerful, a bit hippie-esk ambience, turning with cheerful colors and decor the cavernous space into a cozy cafe.
We like the nice selection of bagels and other breakfast items, but usually go for the bread. Since we are not heavy early morning eaters, we love the tangy sourdough and multigrain toasts we eat with butter and jam. Being a baker myself, I appreciate the good quality of their bakery.
We also like The Works' pledge to "buy from family farmers whenever possible", and "go out of our way to avoid agri-businesses and their pesticides, antibiotics, added hormones, and stressful confined animal feeding operations".
The Works is one of the best values in the Old Port. The coffee is good, too, what can we wish for more? Maybe a change of their policy not to allow facebook access through their WiFi.