“I like this place”
Review of Kon Asian Bistro

Kon Asian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Kon Asian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Whether you’re planning a fun family meal, a romantic date night, or after-work drinks with friends and coworkers, Kon Asian Bistro is the place to be. Since we opened our doors in 2009, we’ve been known for serving a wide-ranging menu of authentic Asian cuisines, from Japanese sushi to traditional Chinese dishes and more. Enjoy dinner and a show as our skilled hibachi chefs whip up an elegant meal right at your table, or visit our lively bar during happy hour and unwind with us.
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Food was pretty good and the decor is upscale for your typical Asian Resturant. They also have a special glassed in area for Benihana type grill cooking.

1  Thank Wayne678
There are newer reviews for Kon Asian Bistro

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location off I-95 Larabee Road exit in Portland. After travelling north for 4 hours on our way to our friend's home in Maine, we enjoy stopping in for some fresh sashimi and tasty rolls. Sushi chefs and staff are friendly, and the service is courteous and fast. The food is very good and reasonably priced. Restaurant and facilities are clean. Looks like it could be a fun place for Happy Hour with a long bar and open seating area.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

If you want try good asian food in nice ambience and have fun,Kon is the right place for all of this things.I and my girfriend and her brother have been to Kon for dinner,early we called to book the Hibachi table,it's a grill with a table and seats all around so you can see your own chef while cooks what you ordered.The Hibachi table is a full experience because your chef of the moment will makes some show during his preparation of food,our chef was very funny and when he was shouting "saki saki" it was meaning he was ready squeeze Sakè (typical Japanese alcohol beverage) directly in your mouth by a little plastic bottle! I ordered Sushi and Sashimi and Noodles cooked by the chef on the grill.Everything was very good,we had good fun.The restaurant is very big and there are two rooms,the first one has many traditional tables and the other one is separated from the first room by a big glasswall and where there are many Hibachii tables.If you want have a Hibachi table experience better call and make a reservation.Good restaurant with delicious food and good ambience.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

$3.50 select rolls and drink specials and even better was great customer service from the bartender! I could do without the customers sucking face next to me, but I was in and out quickly so I tried to ignore them. The bartender was great with making sure my food came out quick since I could not stay. Good job!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I went to Kon Asian Bistro in Portland for the first time this Saturday. We arrived at around 6:30pm without reservations and although the parking lot was full we were seated in minutes of our arrival in the dining room ( I avoid Hibachi tables as I usually find them to be filled with obnoxious strangers). The Kon Asian Bistros decor is very Asian sex movie...I mean romantic and Zen. Dark reds and browns are all around and there are candles on every table that add to the ambiance. For being a hibachi restaurant it is not overly loud and its easy to carry on a conversation. As talked about before I have absolutely no desire to put anything raw in my mouth, especially seafood, so we skipped over the sushi page, got some Sweet Plum Saki and a Crisp cold Sapporo beer and started our meal with a Kon Chicken Lettuce wrap appetizer. It was a good choice, similar to my favorite PF Changs wrap. A small bowl filled with lots of small diced pieces of chicken and Chinese vegetables all cooked in a nice flavorful sweet and spicy sauce accompanied by 4 crisp pieces of Iceberg lettuce cups to wrap it up in. My only issue with this was that I could have used some more lettuce...after the 4 cups were out I still had half a bowl of the vegetable chicken mix, so I just used the old trustee fork to finish the rest ( no chopsticks for me...they only slow me down) For our entrees Simone went with the fresh vegetables from the Hibachi grill with sides of fried rice, salad and the house soup. The salad was small but very enjoyable with that house ginger dressing that I just can't get enough of served at almost all hibachi places. The soup was hot and had a basic but good miso broth with a few mushrooms. It was not overly fishy tasting which was also good as that sometimes can be an issue at these places. Her vegetable were cooked perfect from the grill. Fresh and al dente...not mushy with just the right amount of soy seasoning to give them flavor but still taste like an actual vegetable. The rice, although good, I thought could have used a little more time on the grill as it arrived at the table only mildly warm. For my entrée I went the Thai route and had the always popular dish Pad Thai. Being on a bit of a health kick as of late I avoided the meat and went just with veggies. My Pad Thai was good but really did not stand out from any other Pad Thai I have tasted in the past. It came with the usual Americanized red sauce but the one surprise that I found was that it included Tofu which I don't usually eat but it worked well in the dish as it just absorbed the sweet flavor of the sauce. The vegetables in the dish were again cooked perfectly and tasted fresh. The star of the meal for both Simone and I was the dessert. I can't really remember the name but the taste is forever etched in my memory. Basically a nice big baseball sized scoop of creamy rich Peanut Butter gelato with a caramel center is covered in equally sweet, rich and creamy milk chocolate, then frozen solid, cut in half and served to you. It is simple and amazing in its simplicity. Its like the worlds best Bon-Bon. The prices here are on the higher side but will not scare you away and I had a Portland Dine Around card so we also got 10% of the total bill. So overall the dinner itself was good but did not have me jumping with excitement but the finale of the dessert and the overall ambiance put Kon Asian Bistro in the four star category for me.