“Long wait, average food.”

Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #168 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: From the creator of Portland’s “Rooms” restaurants - Seafood on the Wharf. Boone’s Fish House and Oyster Room is a historic restaurant located on the Portland, ME waterfront. Just steps from Portland’s Old Port, Boone’s combines a perfect seaside location with the freshest local seafood for an unforgettable dining experience.The original Boone’s was established in 1898 and ran continuously until 2006. Now fully restored, and re-imagined, it boasts 2 beautiful decks, upstairs and down, serving steamed Maine lobster, wood-grilled fish & fried clams seven days a week. Upstairs holds the Oyster Room, with the ability to hold private functions of up to 150 guests and serving a raw bar and wood-fired flatbreads. Harding Lee Smith is Chef & owner with Bryan Dame as the Executive Chef and Sean Doherty as Chef de Cuisine of the Oyster Room.Discover a far-reaching array of seafood, much displayed on ice for your choosing. Pick your own lobster and, on the menu, you’ll find an extensive selection of local seafood like Maine oysters, Maine clams and fresh fish entrees. Watch the boats bring in the day’s catch while you enjoy the oyster bar or crack into a steaming hot lobster with sweet, drawn butter. For an authentic taste of Portland, the New England clam chowder or a famous lobster roll will get you started!Boone’s offers the real Maine dining experience just as it did when it originally opened. Boone’s combines a modern, rustic atmosphere with the best seafood in Portland. The spacious yet cozy dining room makes Boone’s an ideal destination for enjoying a seafood dinner with your whole family, sharing an intimate meal on a special occasion, or hosting a gathering or small event. While you’re visiting Portland, make Boone’s your first choice for enjoying a fresh Maine seafood dinner in a convenient, indoor/outdoor, and waterfront setting.
Buffalo, New York
“Long wait, average food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

We went to Boone's twice on our trip to Maine - once for drinks on the upper patio which was great - beautiful views and good service. Location and décor are excellent.
However, we decided to come back for dinner and did not have the best experience. Our server was excellent once we were seated. We were told there was a 20 minute wait so we went to the bar - I literally walked around the dining room and patio and counted 20 open tables. By the time we were seated 30 minutes later, there were still 16 open tables. Need better organization in the front of the house.

Visited August 2014

Weehawken, New Jersey
“Gluten Free Goodness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

I was on my way up to Bar Harbor and stopped in Portland for the night. My mother and I stumbled upon Boone's when a place we wanted to go that was gluten-free friendly had a three hour wait. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. A lot of their menu items are gluten free! Even the fried foods! I had the fried clams as an app and a steamed lobster for dinner. While they charged us $35 a piece for our steamed lobsters the visit was worth it. Our waitress was new so a bit slow, but she was very nice and always went to ask the kitchen when I had questions. I would go back.

Petoskey, Michigan
“Poor Service...Average Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

We had just gotten off the Casco Bay "mail run" trip and were famished, so we ignored the 3* rating and went into Boone's at about 1:30 pm, not exactly prime lunch time. We did not want to sit outside as it was really warm, so they took us upstairs to an empty dining area and seated us near the open doors to the deck. We waited and waited and finally a woman server took our drink order. A young, male server then showed up and said he would serve us. My husband wanted fresh oysters and this guy basically handed him a small list and pencil and said "order what you want." My husband wanted an explanation of each type of oyster and the waiter finally complied and explained each type. He then apologized and said there was a huge oyster order in front of us and it would be awhile for the oysters. We then proceeded with our lunch selections. Oysters arrived...very tasty. We then wait...and wait. Waiter comes over, sheepishly says the kitchen never received our lunch order and gives us two free drinks while we wait for lunch. Finally eat lunch, which was good, not great...two fish tacos, slightly greasy and a very expensive Clam Roll ($27). Didn't get out of there until 3:00 pm.

Portland, Maine
“Boone's + Fresh Local Fish = Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

So, I went to Boone's last night with friends on a beautiful summer night. The question I am asking myself this morning is "why would anyone go to Boone's and not order fish if they want to be guaranteed a great experience?".
To start most everyone at the table, including myself, ordered the Great Diamond Island Margarita (jalapeno and cucumber infused tequila, agave, lime juice) which was a delicious, satisfying drink.
I treated the table to the Oyster Meatball appetizer which I had not had before and it was an instant hit. I will definitely order that again and probably not share! For my main meal I decided to try the Kung Pao Dragon & Phoenix (crispy chicken, shrimp, sweet soy, peanuts, garlic, ginger) and Boone's Fried Rice. As I looked around the table at everyone's Fish entrees I wondered "what was I thinking?". My meal was OK, but not outstanding. The chicken, as I should have expected, was all dark meat and the 3 shrimp were good sized. The flavor was good but not what I was looking for for. The rice was starchy. I ate about half of my meal and jealously looked at my friends' delicious looking meals of Baked Stuffed Haddock with scallops and lobster (good sized portion with 2 sides included for a $32 price - best pick I thought), Steamed Mussels with white wine, garlic and lemon and Whole Fish with Napa cabbage. The next time I will know to stick with Fish!
While my food selections should have been better, my food rating is based on the other meals at my table which I have had before and enjoyed greatly.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Restaurant on the Water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

This is not the best seafood I have ever had, but it was certainly good. There are two levels, both with indoor and outdoor seating areas. the outdoor areas overlook the water where some of the tour boats come in. The atmosphere was nice. The service was good and the staff was very friendly. We shared the mussels for an appetizer, which were very good (still not the best and I think I expected a fresher taste, but still good). My 7 year old son ordered the fish tacos with fries and potato salad. I tried each. All were very tasty. He said it was the very best potato salad he had ever had, and he loved the fish tacos. I had the cracked shell sautéed lobster. It was VERY good, except the very last bite in one of the claws was a little undercooked. But all else was excellent. Seems like a great spot to hang out at night with friends (minus the kids). Right next to the Shipyard restaurant. Bill came to about $100 for the two of use, but with 2 glasses of wine, two entrees, and appetizer, extra side and a soft drink, not too bad.