“Nice location n fireplace”

Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: From the creator of Portland’s “Rooms” restaurants - Seafood on the Wharf. Boone’s Fish House and Oyster Room is a historic restaurant located on the Portland, ME waterfront. Just steps from Portland’s Old Port, Boone’s combines a perfect seaside location with the freshest local seafood for an unforgettable dining experience.The original Boone’s was established in 1898 and ran continuously until 2006. Now fully restored, and re-imagined, it boasts 2 beautiful decks, upstairs and down, serving steamed Maine lobster, wood-grilled fish & fried clams seven days a week. Upstairs holds the Oyster Room, with the ability to hold private functions of up to 150 guests and serving a raw bar and wood-fired flatbreads. Harding Lee Smith is Chef & owner with Bryan Dame as the Executive Chef and Sean Doherty as Chef de Cuisine of the Oyster Room.Discover a far-reaching array of seafood, much displayed on ice for your choosing. Pick your own lobster and, on the menu, you’ll find an extensive selection of local seafood like Maine oysters, Maine clams and fresh fish entrees. Watch the boats bring in the day’s catch while you enjoy the oyster bar or crack into a steaming hot lobster with sweet, drawn butter. For an authentic taste of Portland, the New England clam chowder or a famous lobster roll will get you started!Boone’s offers the real Maine dining experience just as it did when it originally opened. Boone’s combines a modern, rustic atmosphere with the best seafood in Portland. The spacious yet cozy dining room makes Boone’s an ideal destination for enjoying a seafood dinner with your whole family, sharing an intimate meal on a special occasion, or hosting a gathering or small event. While you’re visiting Portland, make Boone’s your first choice for enjoying a fresh Maine seafood dinner in a convenient, indoor/outdoor, and waterfront setting.
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The place was being remodeled when I visited Portland in May. They did a wonderful job, with an outside deck overlooking the wharf. Inside, a super stone fireplace, nice "wavy" bar with windows. Kitchen uses allot of wood to cook and you can watch and see the food and chef's.

My wife and I visited Oct 17th and it was a little chilly out, the fire was really good and pretty cool to watch. We walked so no parking problem.

Great waitress, and good service no problem there, plus $5 beer. Biscuits were warm...but there were 2 with 1 blueberry muffin.

Now for the small negatives: Lobster dinner was twice as expensive as any place we visited all week. Very confusing menu, something about an upstairs kitchen and second menu, hope to get food out at same time....uhh say what? Can't say exactly why but the whole menu was just confusing. The sea bass I ordered was like 2 inches wide and maybe 6-7" long ( good but expensive for a few bites ) Not sure what the wife got but again, small portions.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt since they are just newly open.

Bottom line is probably great for lunch on the deck, but cost and small plates for dinner...mmmmm not sure I would go back very often.

There are newer reviews for Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The seafood stuffed haddock was the best I've ever had and the interior of the restaurant is beautifully done. With that said, not much else is good about this restaurant.

I have eaten there twice now, the first time the server came back every 2 minutes to check on us until we got our food, and then he disappeared. My entree was excellent, but my husband's yellowtail (special) was overcooked. My salad was way over-dressed. The staff did apologize for the overcooked fish and took half the price of that dish off of our bill, which I thought was fair.

Second visit, went with a group of 7 people. Sat upstairs, which is a great space. They had one server for drinks and another server for food. The drink server took three people's orders, then didn't come back for the rest of the orders for 10 minutes. Once the drinks arrived for everyone two of them were incorrect; I ordered a cocktail and received a glass of white wine. It took 15 minutes to correct this. The food server did not come to take our order until we had been seated for more than half an hour, which she made a joke about. Not acceptable, especially since we were one of just two tables with patrons upstairs. Downstairs did not appear full either.

The appetizers were good, mussels came in a very nice sauce and good portion size. It took 45 minutes for our entrees to arrive, once again not acceptable considering how few patrons were in the restaurant. The entrees were great quality, and good portion size, and the only thing I reccommend about this restaurant.

Both visits were in the fall at nighttime so we did not get to take advantage of the outdoor seating, which appears to be very nice. I am disappointed in this restauarant, especially considering the high quality of their other restaurants, The Front, Corner, and Grill Rooms.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

It is very difficult to find a parking space in the tourist area of Portland and the one we found was exclusively for Boones. Cold biscuits, room temperature chowder that had grit in it were followed by one of the daily specials, scallops. Four scallops for $20 came with no sides. The seemingly normal priced beer came in an 8 ounce glass, making it also rediculously overpriced.
Then my husband read a review of the unprofessional, unacceptable behavior of the owner that made me ashamed to have been in the place.
There are many other choices and I will never return to Boones.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Decided to go despite all of the bad reviews. Stopped in late on a Friday afternoon to make a reservation for later in the evening. Asked for a 7 pm was told they only had a 5 and an 8:30 - which didn't work for us. So we left . . . but then I returned an asked the hostess if they had a certain percentage of seats that they put aside for walk-in customers thinking we would just do that . . . and she begrudgingly said yes but they did but "there is always a wait". So basically she wasn't trying to encourage us to come back - she wanted us to take reservations at times we didn't want - or not to bother to come back. I mean, who needs to tell someone that there will be possibly be wait if you walk-in instead of reserving? Of course there may be a wait but if you're trying to get people in the door you don't throw that at them! Oh well . . . this one is really off the list at least for now!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I gave it a week - maybe not enough time but the owner is multi unit owner pro so i thought it was enough. I really like his Corner Room so i was looking forward to this.

They say you are always supposed to give something good with something less good. The good is the second floor deck is maybe the best in town. I will go again for drinks next summer.

Ahh...the food. Thats the bad, it feels like Boone's was custom designed to make money by turning tables in conjunction with rapidly served mediocre food. Of our 6 plates all felt a bit lacking, and quickly put together for 'menu impact' but not dining pleasure or satisfaction.

We sat at the chefs table, the owner was head of the line that night. " I asked him how its was going. He smiled " over five hundred plates last night". I sort of hoped he might talk about the food.

Later i saw the same owner had a bit of a devastating review in the local paper about how he treated staff - as we all know restaurants are full of drama in the back of the house - , so I hope Boone's takes the winter to figure out what it would take to authentically add to the amazing amazing restaurant scene in Portland and not help lower the bar.

1  Thank walker M