“Nice deck, will likely be a hit with the tourists.”

Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #217 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: From the creator of Portland’s “Rooms” restaurants - Seafood on the Wharf. Boone’s Fish House and Oyster Room is a historic restaurant located on the Portland, ME waterfront. Just steps from Portland’s Old Port, Boone’s combines a perfect seaside location with the freshest local seafood for an unforgettable dining experience.The original Boone’s was established in 1898 and ran continuously until 2006. Now fully restored, and re-imagined, it boasts 2 beautiful decks, upstairs and down, serving steamed Maine lobster, wood-grilled fish & fried clams seven days a week. Upstairs holds the Oyster Room, with the ability to hold private functions of up to 150 guests and serving a raw bar and wood-fired flatbreads. Harding Lee Smith is Chef & owner with Bryan Dame as the Executive Chef and Sean Doherty as Chef de Cuisine of the Oyster Room.Discover a far-reaching array of seafood, much displayed on ice for your choosing. Pick your own lobster and, on the menu, you’ll find an extensive selection of local seafood like Maine oysters, Maine clams and fresh fish entrees. Watch the boats bring in the day’s catch while you enjoy the oyster bar or crack into a steaming hot lobster with sweet, drawn butter. For an authentic taste of Portland, the New England clam chowder or a famous lobster roll will get you started!Boone’s offers the real Maine dining experience just as it did when it originally opened. Boone’s combines a modern, rustic atmosphere with the best seafood in Portland. The spacious yet cozy dining room makes Boone’s an ideal destination for enjoying a seafood dinner with your whole family, sharing an intimate meal on a special occasion, or hosting a gathering or small event. While you’re visiting Portland, make Boone’s your first choice for enjoying a fresh Maine seafood dinner in a convenient, indoor/outdoor, and waterfront setting.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I gave it a week - maybe not enough time but the owner is multi unit owner pro so i thought it was enough. I really like his Corner Room so i was looking forward to this.

They say you are always supposed to give something good with something less good. The good is the second floor deck is maybe the best in town. I will go again for drinks next summer.

Ahh...the food. Thats the bad, it feels like Boone's was custom designed to make money by turning tables in conjunction with rapidly served mediocre food. Of our 6 plates all felt a bit lacking, and quickly put together for 'menu impact' but not dining pleasure or satisfaction.

We sat at the chefs table, the owner was head of the line that night. " I asked him how its was going. He smiled " over five hundred plates last night". I sort of hoped he might talk about the food.

Later i saw the same owner had a bit of a devastating review in the local paper about how he treated staff - as we all know restaurants are full of drama in the back of the house - , so I hope Boone's takes the winter to figure out what it would take to authentically add to the amazing amazing restaurant scene in Portland and not help lower the bar.

1  Thank walker M

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Used to frequent the original Boone's many, many years ago so was excited to think that someone was going to resurrect it!
Location, location location!!
And, the restoration is pretty good, too!
But, can't say that about the food?!
And, didn't see much evidence of anyone on the scene that was so-called "managing"?!
Ordered the small plate of the Finnan Haddie which was a signature dish at the original Boone's but it was not even a reasonable rendition of the dish?! Potatoes barely cooked - white sauce tasted like it was in the the wrong venue - way too sweet - and, the finnan haddie (smoked haddock) must have been the fish that got away?!
And, the small plate of mussels contained small, meager mussels?
Our St.Germain w/Prosecco cocktails along with their blueberry bread & biscuits saved the night!
It would be a shame if they can't get their act together!

1  Thank donna s s s
Reviewed October 4, 2013

On our last evening in Portland, we walked to the wharf, and after attempting to get in to the Old Port Sea Grill with no success, we went to Boone's. We're happy we did. The wait was only 15 minutes, and our time spent at the bar was fun. The bartenders (both ladies) were extremely pleasant and very helpful. We then were seated in the "oyster room", and the young waitress was very, very nice. I'm an Oyster lover from going to school in New Orleans, and I had never seen so many choices of oysters. I was not disappointed. The fish entrees we had were very good, and the entire evening was enjoyable.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was excited to try Harding Lee Smith's newest addition to Portland. Being a huge fan of the Front and Grill Rooms, my expectations were high for Boone's.

I convinced my sister to come check the new place out with me. Upon entering the restaurant, it was obvious the place is beautiful - from the glass doors swinging open to the deck-seating, to the woodwork, to the bar. Top-notch...

We were greeted by a hostess and were told a table would be ready in about 15 minutes. As we didn't have a reservation, this seemed reasonable. We sat at the bar and decided to share a bottle of wine. The bartender explained they were out of what we wanted but offered a sample of another bottle she thought was similar. She was very honest that she was not a wine drinker and did not know if we would even like the wine she gave us to sample but wanted to offer. Although I would expect a bartender at one of HLS's restaurants to know the wine on the menu, her honesty and demeanor were such that we didn't really care. We actually really liked the wine.

Just a few minutes after our wine was opened, our table was ready. Although the bartender asked us to settle our bar bill, she said she would bring over the bottle to our table, which she immediately did.

We were able to order from a dinner menu as well as a small plates menu from the “Oyster Room” upstairs. I ordered the Wood Oven Muscles and Spicy Caramelized Shrimp from the Oyster Room menu and per suggestion from our server, a side of Crispy Brussel Sprouts from the dinner menu. My sister got the Fried Maine Shrimp and a side of Farm Vegetables.

The muscles were huge and very fresh…although they were pretty much tasteless. Despite the menu describing creamy soy and garlic, it was difficult to taste either, even when spooning the broth from the bottom, on top of the muscles. My shrimp was also very fresh and wonderfully presented…and very spicy. Although the spice was perfect for me, I didn’t get any of the sweetness I expected from the caramelization. On the other hand, the Brussel Sprouts were one of the best things I have ever eaten. When the server suggested them, I was going to say no as I like brussel sprouts, but that is far as the relationship goes. After eating this dish, our relationship has now gone to a new level.

My sister’s fried shrimp were, well fried shrimp…and her vegetables, according to her, were bland and without much taste.

Overall, the food was good…maybe a little better than good. However, I really expected much, much more. It is my hope the kitchen gets some feedback and begins producing the quality food I have come to expect from The Rooms.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Had lunch at old time Portland restaurant, Boone's. Sat outside on the deck where the smell of diesel fumes was overpowering. The music was blasting with that heavy boom, boom sound, which made it difficult to have a conversation. The service staff is not properly trained and not very friendly or welcoming; felt like we were interfering with their day and that they had better things to do. There were three of us for lunch. One of my guest ordered mussels, and got steamed clams, the other guest ordered two of the small plates and had to remind the waitress to bring the second plate. Don't ask for a sparking water; just not available and the waitress seemed annoyed that I did not take her up on having club soda. Perhaps this is just a matter of a new restaurant trying to work out the kinks, but I would not hurry back. May wait several months and give it another try, however there are many other restaurants in Portland which are far better with less boom, boom.