“Best sushi in Portland”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I go to Yosaku almost every week for lunch and it is outstanding. It change things up a bit, sometimes getting the two roll combo lunch special that comes with the best miso soup in town ($8.00); sometimes the the bento box which has a nice variety of a protein (fish, chicken or pork), one roll, a salad, shu mai and soup; and sometimes I get the Teppan Salmon. Everything is expertly prepared, the service is great and the atmosphere is Zen!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This review is about spicy, crunchy tuna rolls.

Having been to every sushi restaurant in the entire Portland area for more years than there are restaurants, I'm narrowing this review down to a single sushi group: Maguro (dark tuna) rolls.

Simply put, I didn't think anything could wow me anymore (such hubris) but Yosaku did yesterday at lunch. Their spicy, crunchy tuna roll was over the top amazing. I ordered the 2 roll lunch special and added the crunchy (which isn't on the choice list). No biggie, it was a few bucks more, but at the bargain lunch Special prices it's totally a bargain.

What a knockout. Giant rolls, cut into the traditional pieces, but not opened up and laid on the plate.... so they looked even more impressive. 4 rolls with huge chunks of maguro (many times restaurants have barely enough tuna to notice) with the crunchy flakes covering the whole top of the rolls. Absolutely fantastic. I'm still shaking my head and plotting my next lunch.

Good miso, which is always a plus.

So go to lunch there and try those rolls. If they are anything less than fantastic, tell them about this review and ask what happened.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our latest visit was the best. I will say this is now my number one Japanese Restaurant to go to. We tried the dumplings for the first time and they were very good. My fiance and I got four different Maki Rolls and each were very good. We went around 5:30pm on a Saturday. If you go any later you may want to call and make a reservation if you plan to sit in the regular dinning room. One Saturday night we went with friends and the wait was an hour for dinning room. So we ended up sitting at one of the floor tables. Yeah, not my cup of tea. My fiance and I's legs were killing us after and I have bad knees so when I get up from sitting like that it's 10 times worse. If it is spring and summer time when the patio is open that is so nice to enjoy. If you love sushi like I do it's worth a try.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

As usual the food was great even as takeout. Got my favorite off menu item--hamachi kami--and it was particularly good. They are using biodegradable containers for most items.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Yosaku Japanese Restaurant used to be better - both from a quality of food and service prespective; it has us wondering if there has been a shift to new ownership or management. The food, while excellent in the past, was simply just ok this time. I was dining with a vegetarian and we were told "no substitutes" (not even for an additional charge) for the miso soup - which by the way, had way too much fish stock. The tempura tasted ok but it was a bit greasy. We were surprised that the tofu katsu was supposed to be accompanied by a katsu sauce but instead it arrived with a side of mayonnaise, served up in a little tacky plastic Dixie cup. The service was average and the sushi chefs behind the bar were most interested in hearing their own loud showy voices; it detracted from the dining experience. We likely won't be returning there.

1  Thank karmo