“Excellent Thai, Eat in or Take out”

Mekhong Thai Portland
Ranked #173 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Friends were recently up visiting from "away." One of them had never eaten thai food before.... "Never ? " I uttered. That was surprising to me, given our advanced age. We ordered take-out, sharing most everything between the four of us. Our 3 entrees were pad thai with shrimp, pad thai with crispy tofu, and a garlic chicken. Our 3 appetizers were fresh spring rolls, thai dumplings, and a chicken satay. We also had 2 soups: a tom yum, and a tom kha gai. We all loved each dish, even my friend who had never eaten thai before. We were stuffed- and there was enough food remaining to have leftovers. Including tip and delivery charge, the cost came to about $21- per person. We felt this was a good deal, and we never even had to leave the house. Better yet, one of my guests paid for dinner. The delivery driver was friendly, and they arrived when they said they would, in about 45 minutes on a Saturday night- and they got the order exactly right.

I've always liked this place. I will go back again. The advantage to eating in is that they serve up a huge Volcano Bowl if you so like..... with 6 kinds of booze, and long straws for sipping- delicious, and you can catch a nice buzz-on from it- but be completely sober to drive home safely by the time you finish dinner.

2  Thank James F

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been to the Mekhong Thai in Wells and Kennebunk as well and have never been disappointed with the food. I usually come here for lunch since its a great value. you get soup, and appetizer and your entree for under $10.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My first major plus to this restaurant is that they have a huge parking lot with plenty of spaces available!

When we entered the restaurant we were greeted right away and were taken to a table. My first disappointment was the temperature inside. I am not sure if they didn't have A/C or it just wasn't able to keep up with the heat outside. Once we sat down it wasn't as noticeable and there was a large fan nearby.

Our table was on the upper level. They had a bar downstairs along with several tables. They were never very busy but they may have had takeout orders that I was not aware about. They never had more than 3 tables full while we were there. We were sat at a nice four top. One thing that I loved about our waitress was that she realized right away that the fancy glass water glasses would not work out for the 2 boys. She brought us back 2 plastic water cups that had covers. Those were fantastic because it definitely takes the stress out a bunch if you don't have to constantly watch your 4 year old about to break a water glass.

Almost immediately the waitress about out crispy noodles with a dipping sauce while we were perusing the menu. Again this is awesome with two hungry boys that weren't too interested in waiting for food. I found the noodles to taste stale though. I am not sure if they were made earlier in the day or maybe even left over from yesterday but I only ate one and decided to save my appetite for dinner. The boys thought they were great so they were still a success for us.

We (ok...I made an executive decision without asking anyone else) to order the Vegetable Curry Puffs. These were so delicious although served super hot. We had to wait a good 5-10 minutes before they cooled down enough to eat. These were served with a plum sauce for dipping as well. They reminded me of a miniature curry empanada. For $5.95 for a serving of four it was a little on the high side but I still think it was worth it. I would highly recommend ordering these if you like curry.

For the main course we decided to have the boys share a plate. We got them the Broccoli Stir Fry with chicken. This included broccoli, carrots, and scallions ($11.95). It is served with a large portion of rice. It was so huge that they boys ate tons and we still had enough for each boy to have a takeout container for their dinner tomorrow. I didn't try any but it sure smelled delicious.

My friend went with the Pad Thai (a true sign of a good friend because she puts up with my annoying request to constantly take pictures of her food). She had also seriously considered Salmon Thai which included Salmon cooked in a red curry sauce carrots, red peppers, and kaffir lime leaves. She definitely was very happy with her choice. Her Pad Thai chicken, shrimp, egg, bean sprouts, and ground peanuts ($8.95). She did request to get it without Shrimp. She really enjoyed it and again had plenty to bring home for dinner tomorrow night.

I had considered the Pad Thai (Myranda picked that and I didn't want to copy), one of the soups (way too hot for that), a Thai fried rice (it just didn't feel like enough of a meal). I finally decided on the Masaman Curry with Pork. On the menu it said it included jasmine rice but it looked like regular white rice to me. It also included potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, bamboo shoots, pineapple, onions, peanuts, and basil ($11.95). The pork just melted in your mouth and the vegetables were cooked just right but not to the point that they were a mushy mess. I just loved everything about this dish and would find it very difficult to pick anything else knowing I was missing out on this awesome curry.

If you are in the Portland area and looking for a good Thai restaurant I would highly recommend giving Mekhong Thai Restaurant a try.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've been going here for years, and the service, quality of food, and prices have always been amazing. Good for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I'm a big fan of Mekhong. They have consistently good food. It's isn't fancy but it's delicious. I've never been disappointed. Also, they deliver which is a huge plus to me!