“Very Average and Overpriced”

Parker's Restaurant
Ranked #251 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We recently had dinner at Parker's with another couple. It was my second experience there for dinner, with my first visit being more than year earlier. Parker's is a long time neighborhood favorite that I feel has existed largely in part due to its popularity with a certain clientele of people who go there to congregate with others whom they have known for much of their life and who are from the neighborhood where it exists, whether they still live there now or have lived there in the past. It has a separate bar that is very popular with the above mentioned clientele. The menu is fairly common with American fare. I opted for the Seafood linguine. I found it to be "Very Mediocre" as compared to many other restaurants that I have experienced.

I also found the pricing of Parker's menu to be higher than average. The drinks are also priced at a premium and I found them to be Very Good. I had the same meal at Applebee's a couple of days later and found it to be twice as good for "Half" the price that I paid at Parker's.

I will not visit there again.

1  Thank wsmith52

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have been at Parkers several times and in my experience the bar scene is better than the food.
I have not eaten here for dinner - only lunch - so that is what this review reflects. The menu is basically American fare - nothing really special here. I have had salads here - average at best.
In groups I have been with, the entrees have received fair to OK ratings - no one has raved about the food, that is for sure. It is not someplace you would seek out especially - most of the patrons work in the immediate area. The bar carries a decent range of offerings of beer and mixed drinks. TVs in the bar if you want to catch the local sports team. Service tends to be slow and sometimes painfully slow. The atmosphere is not great - it is kind of dark. It could really use some remodeling and lightening up.

Overall, it is OK but I can't recommend it very highly.

1  Thank Northern_Traveler701
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have family members in various parts of Parker's neighborhood, so we have tended to meet there many times over the past 20 years or so. I have a large and random sample-size to base my comments upon.

I can't say that I've ever had a good meal there, nor a truly awful one. The food there is edible, but always over-priced for whatever mediocre dish is served. (Every single time, with amazing consistency!)

As others have mentioned, this place is essentially a local watering-hole, and not a destination for anyone who is looking for something truly good to eat. The same set of alcoholics show up-up every night, and the food isn't worth crossing the street for, especially at the price. There are probably 300 places in Portland that will provide better food and better value.

(On the plus-side, there are plenty of TV's for watching the Sox, and the service has always been above-average.)

1  Thank Fishman81
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I usually get the prime rib when I go to Parker's on the weekend, but last weekend I decided to try the pecan chicken. It was THE BEST chicken I've ever eaten! There was so much that I saved some for leftovers the next day, and it was as delicious heated up as it was the night before! I cannot wait to go back and have it again! Thank you!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This restaurant, only 10 to 15 minutes out of Downtown Portland, has always been an "old reliable" kind of place with good food at moderate prices, but several nights ago a friend and I had dinner before an intown concert, and it was absolutely wonderful. The crock of onion soup I started with was (and always ha been) the best around, and my friend`s salad was good, but the chicken dishes we each had were gourme, to say the least. She had chicken rolled and roasted in hazelnuts and bourbon sauce, and I had the "Chicken Athena", a large breast covered with feta cheese, Greek olives, tomatoes nestled into linguine with a fabulous buttery pesto sauce. The warm crusty rolls with unsalted creamery butter, and quick friendly service completed a fine dinner While I strongly recommend these chicken dishes, I know that their fish dinners are also excellent , and they have a killer turkey club. Besides the pleasant dining room, they also have a very nice horseshoe shaped bar with excellent bartenders, and a couple of large screen TVs for sports-watching. Kids always seem welcome in the restaurant. This place is well worth the short ride (straight out) on Washington Avenue...It`s located just inside the parking lot of the Northport Business Plaza on your right with Downtown behind you.

1  Thank OlderHarvardgrad